Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the??

I don't know much about engines...but are you/him talking about the piston rings? and if you remove the piston rings, wouldnt that mess up your compression? and compression has something to do with producing power from what I understand. Not only that, but wouldnt oil get in the combustion chamber...it just sounds insane to me. the compressed gases would not be trapped in the chamber to push the pistons down, and would escape...you would loose power this way, woudln't you?

-saaby

------------------
Red 99 SE with: CAI, Stillen Front STB, Redline MT90, ES Motor Mounts (4-set)

·
Registered
513 Posts
This sounds like a huge bunch of BS. Your rings may cause a little friction. But I am pretty sure it is minimal. Otherwise they would be deteriorated in a matter of days using your car. That's why we use oil. Removing them may give you a few hp for the seconds that the car runs before all hell breaks loose

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
Bone Stock

·
Registered
705 Posts
Jordan dont tell me...Monkey?! God, you cant talk to that kid about cars. He goes to school to be a mechanic, he works in his gramps body shop, surrounded by cars daily, but he knows the leats bit about cars then prolly all my freinds!!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
858 Posts
he just wants to destroy your 140 hp v8 eater. LOL! big time BS!

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've never Heard more crap coming out of someones mouth, Tell your Friend hes full-O-****... and to stay off the CRACK>>

[This message has been edited by horishima (edited 03-24-2001).]

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Guys, listen to what my one friend said to me the other day. He's a "v8 guy" so I wasn't expecting much. But listen to this.

We were talking about engines, and he goes "I bet you didn't know that if you removed all the rings in your engine you'd double your horsepower. Since your has 140hp stock it would have 280. Only problem is it ruins your engine after a couple days."

WTF? I'm like "huh??" and he's like "yeah, just remove all the rings inside your engine."

Ok, does this make ANY sense to anyone? I'm thinking that maybe for some old v8's what he said would be true, but still I've never heard anything like that. It sounds silly and ridiculous that you could double your HP just by doing that. But as he said "it will ruin your engine."

Any insight?

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - with the $hitty stock cams, 14's this season

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, it probably looses power b/c you will be loosing a little compression, oil getting up into your piston, onto your spark plug fouling it out within 5 seconds of startup. ya, tell him "I bet you didn't know if you knew your head from your ass you would not be filling my ears with ****" man, that honestly sounds like some backwoods TX or TN hillbilly mechanic stuff that they would try to get you to believe and they honestly think that way. carburators are better, fuel injection is a little too complicated to work on, they make cars today like they do so you *have* to bring it to the dealership, and the 78 mustang II was the best car ever produced.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Hey guys,
I was trying to be innovative, so I took all the rings out of my engine. Unfortunately, I was being too innovative and blew up my SR20DE. When I started my SE-R up, it stumbled and smoked a lot - I could definitely feel the 280hp on the butt dyno. Then, just as I was about to go race some Audi A6's, it just died.

What should I do now, buy a new engine? How much does a SR20VET cost? I'm thinking of getting that and putting a supercharger on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.