SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to install and wire a turbo timer in a b13

I figured I would write this up while my memory is fresh.

Keeping it down to just the colors of the wires is all I am going to for search purposes because I had difficulties finding the info...

If you are wiring on the firewall side of the connector that is under the steering column, the wires are:

Constant 12v = Solid white
Ignition = Black w/red stripe
Accessory = White w/ blue stripe

If wiring into the harness in the steering column(like I did) the wires are colored differently:

Constant 12v = White w/ Red stripe
Ignition = Black w/white stripe
Accessory = Blue w/ white stripe

Harness to turbo timer are as follows:

Constant 12v = Red wire on timer
Ignition = Green wire on timer
Accessory = Blue wire on timer

This is for an Apexi unit, but I found while searching for wiring info that the Greddy and Blitz also use the same colored wires on their units.

Hope it helps someone, Josh

EDIT. The wires for the a/f and o2 voltage. If looking down the wires to the harness, it will look like this.

00000000 0000000 0000X000 00000000G
00000000 0000000 00000000 000000000

the "x" is for O2 sensor, the "g" is ground...Josh

·
Registered
647 Posts
Re: How to install and wire a turbo timer in a b13

anyone have any idea if it's the same on the b14? probably not...or maybe a place to find this info?
sorry if i jacked your thread

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

ser_smokes_alot said:
anyone have any idea if it's the same on the b14? probably not...or maybe a place to find this info?
sorry if i jacked your thread
http://www.brazosport.cc.tx.us/~lshadoff/turbo/timer.html there you go.
You didnt jack it, I hoped this would make it easier to find for people who are searching for the info...Josh

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

NismoSER said:
Dammit. That makes everything easier. But there is yet an easier way, albeit more expensive!

I bought a B13 adapter harness from Chris at sr20development. Plug and play, better than lying on my back getting solder in my eyes :p

Easier, yes. But, the harness, as far as I know, can only be for the timer itself. For timers with other features like a/f ratio, O2 voltage, and autotimer you have to wire into the ecu. The ground thats for the unit also has to be grounded to the ecu for the extra features, so I dont think the harness would work on anything other than just a plain TT...Josh

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts

Well, the ignition wires are the hardest ones to figure out. The instructions that the Apexi TT came with detail where the other three wires go:

The parking brake
Blue and white for the o2 (i think those were the colors)
and the ground

Those pin outs can be easily found on the forum, but until this post, my searches for wiring up the adapter to the ignition have been conflicting.

Either, good job, and thanks for the info!

·
Registered
60 Posts
What is accessory? What is that used for, and how would i find it?

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The accossory is kinda like a remote wire for a stereo. It will be different colors on different cars. With a test light, probe the wires going to the ignition switch with the key turned to accessory. There will be a constant hot, so make sure you know which one that is before you start looking for the accessory. If the key is turned all the way on, you should then have 3 hot wires, two going into the switch (accessory and pawer) and one comming out.
Basically, just find the constant hot with the key off, then find the other hot wire with key turned to accessory, and then youll have it.

-Josh

·
DBA/IT
1,231 Posts
I have followed your guide with my greddy turbo timer/harness and everything was the same for my B13 install, except that the accessory wire on my car was a fully blue wire, not blue/white striped. In any case, anyone with a multimeter can easily test which wires on the ignition harness are ign, acc, or constant 12v. The ignition harness wires are soldered onto the left side of the ignition switch, behind the combination switch (the switch that controls wipers, headlights, etc).

I used a universal Greddy harness, part number TT14-22M, and it made installation so very easy: all that needed to be changed was the wire configuration on the harness connectors--no splicing, tapping, butt connector-ing, none of that BS. I'd post pics but there's no camera at my house at the moment. I will later on, though, to help people who are visual learners :)

edit

actual Greddy link for greddy turbo timer install/instructions can be found here:

http://www.greddy.com/tech/FATURBO_TIMER.pdf

The instructions that came with my TT were in Japanese...

·
_scott
2,284 Posts
Trying to install mine right now (Apexi). I bought it off of Ebay. It was used on a kid's Honda, but when he shipped it to me it came with everything........and then some. It came with the control unit, relay unit, and instructions. But he also added a bunch of random wire along with 3 relays. I would assume the relay box they give you is all you need, but I would like to just make sure of this. :melonscratcher:

·
like a stray puppy
2,163 Posts
did you guys hook up the speed signal wire... Puple on a greddy tt. just wondering what the color wire is on the ecu... I found two wire traced to the ecu from the speed sender. yellow and Black/yellow??? just looking for confirmation

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
Is everyone using a car specific harness or are you tapping into the wires with spade connectors and scotch locks? I was wondering if a S13 hareness would work on a B13 and a S14 harness on a B14 since they are OBDI and OBDII respectively.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
bump....

·
Registered
219 Posts
obviously this is not b13 related but b15 related. what if the car has an immobilizer system? do you need to bypass that? or can u follow the general instructions above?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
this worked on my car 93 se-r

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
oh my bad lol

·
You're Ugly!
2,405 Posts
here is a little info for those who are about to install a TT in to their B13/b14. dont gut in to your ignition harness. all you have to do is go out and spend 15 bucks for a Blitz/HKS/Greddy Turbo timer harness for an s13 or s14 and your installation will be plug and play. how do i know? because i have used a greddy/hks harness before and am now using the Blitz harness and they all work fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts