SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Slowly modding...
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done making my sunroof work like new. It worked okay for a while, then it started getting stuck at several places while opening or closing. I would need to assist it with my hand. This is was done on my 91 classic. This post will basically compile together the posts I scanned and what I did.

Materials needed:

- Small tube (1-2 oz.) of White Lithium Grease
- Qtips
- alot of paper towels
- WD-40
- Basic tools (pliers, screw drivers, flat heads)
- fine sand paper
- ~2 hours of time
- Graphite Powder to touch-up rubber weatherstripping (i didn't use this)

What to do:

- Take off the headliner:
- remove a-pillar plastic, held on by 2 clips
- remove weather stripping around top of door, just pull off
- remove rear window plastic trim, held on by a number of clips
- remove 4 clips in back, just pushed in, pull out with flathead and pliers
- remove dome light, take off lens, screws are visible
- remove sunroof switch, snapped into place
- remove rearview mirror, take off lower plastic trim, 3 screws are visible
- remove sunroof trim, runs the length of the inner perimeter, pull off

- remove OH-**** handles (took me forever to figue out how to do this):
- the 2 plastic pieces on each side of the handle are clipped on
- use a fladhead or something that has a 'L' shaped tip, and pry it off
- 1 screw under each plastic cover

Now hopefully the headliner will come right off. Pull it out of the car through the passengers door at an angle. Make sure you tighten your o-**** handle bolts that arn't accesible with the headliner on, these were loose in my car, one was even missing. :eek: Next:

- Open the sunroof and clean the sunroof tracks visible from outside
I used wd-40 with paper towels and q-tips to get the old black grease off. Make sure you get as much as you can off. Then use the lithium grease and spread as much as you would like on. I lubricated the **** out of it and only used 1 oz of the tube total.

- Hook up the sunroof switch and close sunroof
Now clean the sunroof tracks that are only accessible from inside the car. I use a paper towel and my finger to feel my way around the top of the track. After it seemed clean enough, I spread the lithium grease all around with my finger. Make sure to reach as far forward as you can on the track, so that the middle of the track is nice and frictionless also.

- Clean sunroof switch
I disassembled the sunroof switch (3 small screw) and then sanded the contact points with 400grit sandpaper. Some people were experiencing problems with this in other threads. Put the switch back together carefully.

Next step: put everything back together. I haven't done this yet, but I assume that it should be the same as reversing the steps above.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything too big. Feel free to add any info that helped you clean/grease your sunroof.

-Ken

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to put the write up on the forum. People have an answer when the search for sunroof problems now.

brent

·
Registered
705 Posts
great post! my sun roof could not slide open since the day I test drove it at the dealership. The car had only 8miles on it. The sales told me that's why it was called a moon roof and not a sun roof because a moon-roof only tilts. I thought it was true until I drove a 97 200sx and the moon-roof could slide open. Then I brought it in to the dealer to replace the roof with a new one that could slide. After a few months, it started getting stuck again. lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
Mine has always worked great until i locked my keys in and had to unlock it with a broomstick through the little crack on the sunroof (when its just tilted up.) then it would get stuck but i just kept smaking it and started to work fine. :confused:

·
Slowly modding...
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BruHaHa said:
Thanks for supplying the write-up! One question though: when prying off the sunroof switch which sides should I pry from left/right, front/back, or both?
I just took a look at it. When you take off the sunroof switch, you want to pry it off from the drivers side. The switch should just hang down once you do this. The left side has a metal clip (where you should pull), the right side is 2 pieces of plastic slanted that just hold it into place. The front and back do not have any clips or anything. I can take a pic if you can't get it off, it is kinda hard to explain.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Very goo ri uh kimo, I lova tha lih dih bih whe ih wri stu tha mah hih soun hoh. Ok, thats enough of that, good job Ken...

Josh

·
Banned
543 Posts
or u could just buy mine for 125 shipped in perfect working condition lol.good work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts