SR20 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have never looked at spark plugs before. I want to do a mini tune-up. I read on se-r.net that one of the first things I should check out is my plugs to see if I am running lean/rich. Also, any ideas on a good timing light to buy? as always...thanx in advance,

-saaby

------------------
Red 99 SE with: CAI, Stillen Front STB, Redline MT90, ES Motor Mounts (4-set)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, under normal conditions- your electrode should be grayish or tan color. There may also be discoloration on the porcelain part. IIRC, usually if youre running RICH- you'll get a dark color that looks kinda wet with deposits. If youre running LEAN, you'll definitely know. Slight detonation may show tiny white specks on either the electrode, ground, or porcelain. It helps to have a magnifying lens. Detonation shows signs of more whiteness-the opposite of RICH condition. Just think of charcoal for barbecuing. RICH would be charcoal in the bag-Black. LEAN would be what it looks like when your done barbecuing-kinda ASHY(sp??)light gray color- ALMOST white. Severe detonation would be melted or missing electrodes/ground or damage to electrode/ground or porcelain. If your N/A and running rich you might want to check your plug wires too. If your plugs show slight detonation, check your timing-it may be too advanced. You may want to change your fuel filter too. It only took me 2 minutes to get mine out. If everything looks ok, you don't have to worry. Hope this helps...

------------------
Fred
99 Sentra SE
http://www.geocities.com/fred99sr20

1 - 3 of 3 Posts