SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for honest opinions on what you would do if you owned a '93 XE and you have $6000 to spend on it (and buying an SE-R is not really a viable option). I want the car to haul ass and handle/brake well. What would you do? I'm doing all the work myself.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What I would suggest, along with probably many others is do a sr20de, sr20det, or sr20ve swap. Also if the transmission of the se-r is different and better, you should also swap one of those in. I don't know too much stuff though on the b13s, but I'm sure people will agree with me that you should swap your engine. BTW, you would probably spend lots of money (more than what a swap can cost) to get your ga16de to perform like a STOCK sr20de. Good luck, and $6k is plenty of money, I wish I had that much to spend on my car.

P.S. You would also want to spend some of your money on handling like you said, so you can upgrade your brakes, I think there is a Willwood kit for that, and then get coilovers (Ground Control, NOT Arospeed) with better shocks or the motivational setup (but I think the motivational setup may only work for b14 cars).

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree with shoes on that, especially your brakes, you should definately make sure your brakes can handle the extra power that you plan to get.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
How hard would an SR20VE swap into a GA16 B13 be? Are you looking to do all the work yourself? Man, I know if I had a lot of money, I'd definately do the VE swap, but it may deplete your funds w/ the quickness. Check into it, it couldn't hurt, right? :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
With 6g's you can swap the VE in and have $$ left over to play with. It isn't that much harder than the DE, but I would talk to Sr20 Development to help fine tune. It would put you in the 13's. Not bad for an XE....

Alfie

silversx said:
How hard would an SR20VE swap into a GA16 B13 be? Are you looking to do all the work yourself? Man, I know if I had a lot of money, I'd definately do the VE swap, but it may deplete your funds w/ the quickness. Check into it, it couldn't hurt, right? :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I dont get it...6 grand is plenty of money to buy a classic with and maybe even a 95 or 96 200sx se-r..if u get the classic, you should still have like 3 or 4k left over to do whatever you want with. I just dont understand why buying a different car is totally out of the question.....:confused:

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Sell it for problay 1000-2000 and buy a classic or if you get 2000 you probaly could find an ugly civic looking 200 and be done with it. personaly id find a 91-93 classic with lowish mileage, but with that kinda money you could get a super sweet classic. im not all about doing the swaps cause its a major headache coming from a ga16. Plus you have to spend alot of money on swaping and having a car that hasnt increased its value, probaly lowered it. Id hold on to it till you can find a classic and then sell it how ever you can considering you wouldnt be hurtting for money.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hhhmm 93'XE=Classic, I paid $1500 +/- 200 for all parts needed for the swap. I did all the work in my back yard and took me a total of 3 days to have properly running, not much of a headache unless you don't like to work with your hands. That leaves you with 4500 to spend on N20, turbo, or motor work. The VE swap might be a little tricky but I'm sure SR20 Development can help fine tune it.

Alfie(doesn't mind working with hands):D

Bowlcut said:
personaly id find a 91-93 classic with lowish mileage, im not all about doing the swaps cause its a major headache coming from a ga16. Plus you have to spend alot of money on swaping and having a car that hasnt increased its value, probaly lowered it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Why can't you buy a new car? I wouldn't bother dumping serious cash in a GA16DE car, even with a swap. Sell the thing, and get a classic SE-R, not matter what it takes. The SE-R has better interior, braking, and looks etc. Better yet, get a Classic with a blown motor, swap in a DET/VE (save money BC you already have harness, correct comp for core change at JWT, and transmission!), spend $1000 or so gusying up the motor. Buy a motivational suspension setup, some nice 15s with good rubber, a cool CD player, and **** man, you have a PHAT ride.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might look more into getting an SE-R then. It doesn't seem an option because I live in Nebraska and a clean, straight SE-R is few and far between, very hard to come by. I'm NOT going to fly all over the country to drive one home either. In fact when I bought my XE two years ago it was one of TWO B13 sentras for sale in my area, and believe me, I did a lot of searching. I want to stay B13 because 1)They're cheaper than successive generations of sentras 2)They are, IMHO, the best looking sentras (aside the brand new ones) 3)Plenty of aftermarket support to build a sweet one. I like my XE because I know that the previous owner took good care of it, and I don't want to risk buying one that was abused. Here's the deal also. Do I put a SR20DET in or do I buy a turbo and intercooler for the SR20DE in the car? Seems a no brainer when the DET will be japanese spec and come with the intercooler and turbo for $1700. I can't even touch a hotshot turbo and intercooler for an SR20DE for that, can I? So I figured, If I'm going to swap out the engine and put new suspension and brakes on, why go through the hassle of finding an SE-R in my scarce market area, have to sell my car (who's history I know)? Sure I'll have to buy a tranny, c-vjoints, an ECU for core, Gauge cluster, PS pump and lines, Alternator, harness, etc. I'd love to buy an SE-R with a blown motor, cheap, but what else are you going to run into when the ****er blew the motor on it? Not to mention that I'm not going to find one within 100 miles of Omaha. What do I do? Woe is me? ;)

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
by the way, I don't have $6 to spend, I'm working weekends and evenings finishing people's basements to earn that money. I don't gross more than $20K a year, so I'm not rich by any means. :) I just want a fast and well handling car and I want to do it as cheap as I can and buying a new car is certainly not cheaper. Plus what do you learn from buying a car versus building one?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thats the spirit, believe me the hardest part of the swap is gathering all the parts but since you are going DET I'm sure you can find someone that will sell the whole package, Axels, ECU,etc.
Always nice to hear of someone going for the swap rather then just finding and SE-R. Don't worry I waited for about 1 month before I was able to tackle the swap...$$

Alfie
:D

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what I thought, half the people I talk to aren't sure what all I'll need because nobody ever swaps out GA16DE's for SR20DE/T's. I'm an iconoclast, I like to do what others don't, however if it's going to cost me almost a grand to swap into my car I'm going to look a little harder and farther for an SE-R because money talks and bullshit walks. :) $1K could afford me a lot nicer suspension setup not to mention an N20 setup. Thanks for the info enjoyDride, I thought nobody here had swapped an XE. If I don't find an SE-R in the next few months, I'll be bugging you all the time for help. :)

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
i think u have to understand that almost every1 here with an se-r waited and searched hard as hell to get one
i believe it was marksr20 that traveled to CA to get his car and hes from the east coast
im just sayin that be patient and one will come

·
Registered
353 Posts
Toolapcfan said:
That's what I thought, half the people I talk to aren't sure what all I'll need because nobody ever swaps out GA16DE's for SR20DE/T's
Dude. Work with SR20Development. Chris Parker has put dozens of DE's and DET's into GA16 cars. I bet he's put more DET's in 1.6's than in 2.0's.

619-69-TURBO. He can give you a lot of good advice on what you'll need, and he can sell you every single part you'll need for the swap, including the motor.

Rob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts