SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put my new cable in...but I can't seem to get the old one out. I unhooked it from tranny, but I can't get it out off the back thing that holds it about a foot away. Sorry, noob...don't know what it's called. And the stupid Hayne's manual doesn't show how to take it out. I tried tugging it hella hard, but I'm afraid I'll break something...again......:D

I also don't know how to unbolt it from the firewall. There's something in the way...don't know what it is. And my uncle's not home, so I can't use his angled tools. Probably just wait for him, but just in case there's an easy way to get it off?

·
HATER
563 Posts
just did one on a classic, firstly that bracket that it goes through near the tranny, all you need to do is pull it twords the fire wall and that whole rubber part will slide out then you can slide the cable through that slot by moving it twords the driver side fender. on the classic there was some stuff in the way to get to the bracket on the firewall, so i had to jack up the car (lowered) and remove the inner fender plastic crap and remove 2 nuts in there and another bolt in the engine bay. from there i moved whatever that was leaving all electrical connections on it and lifted it up and twords the passanger side, from there it's 2 nuts pull out that tube thing, and it has a gasket, ha ha remove from top of pedal and re install backwards.

hardest part was that inner fender crap, but mind you this was on a 92.

then the engine blew the next afternoon, ha ha

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cause4alarm said:
then the engine blew the next afternoon, ha ha
shitty. hmm...i'll try that. but jacking the car up? i dont see how thats gonna help me. but i'll look again JIC.

Thanks

Jason

·
HATER
563 Posts
on the classic there was a piece of plastic blocking the way to take the nuts off of the braket that was blocking where the cable enters the firewall, i'd have to look on my 200

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cause4alarm said:
on the classic there was a piece of plastic blocking the way to take the nuts off of the braket that was blocking where the cable enters the firewall, i'd have to look on my 200
It's not a piece of plastic, it's some gadget. Haha. I tried unbolting it but there's another nut I can't get to either. Grr, this small cars are a pain to work on...

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's the thing. Thanks...I think I get what cause4alarm was talking about by jacking up the car. Thank you!

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, got everything off except the part to the pedal...

I can't seem to get my hand in there to remove the cable from the pedal. I can see a few things I can unbolt to get there, but is there any other way? Or would unbolting anything else ruin something? From the looks of it I doubt it. But JIC.

Jason

·
DBA/IT
1,231 Posts
it's easy, just get a flashlight and get your head under the dash and the pedal end of the cable should be attached at the very top of the pedal, there's a hook up there that grabs the metal part of the cable. just pull and lift the cable towards the seat, and it'll come right off. even with a flashlight, it'll be difficult to see where the cable is connected.

try reaching up in there to get a feel of what you're working with. Once you know how/where the cable is connected, you won't even need a flashlight to see, just feel it out, reach in and connect/disconnect the cable :)

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my hand is now bruised, scratched and bleeding :D. But I had school and the car was in the garage. So I had my uncle finish up for me while I was learning. My dad was getting 'pissy' about his car being outside :rolleyes:.

Thanx for all the help!! :D:D:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
haha congrats.. i remember installing the clutch cable bak in december. taking it out was no problem, but putting it in...goddamn! i was wondering what the thing (cruise control unit) was that was blocking an easy access to the hole in the firewall.. i kept on trying to fish it thru the hole but came up failing for over an hour.. hooking it up to the top of the pedal was another pain in the ass too! the haynes manual doesnt do a great job illustrating it either.. but yeh, glad u got it to install and at least for next time (hopefully there is no next time), ull kno what to do

·
I need me SE-R
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah my hand still hurts! Haha, I kept hittin things and having long arms, it was hella hard to get my hand in the right position to unhook the cable. But my uncle just ended up unbolting the whole thing. Geesh, always doin **** the easy way :rolleyes: haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts