SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have this little car mantenance/repair/info book and it has a small part talking about trannies and differentials. it says one way to test your differential is to jack it up and try to spin one of the wheels with your hand. if it spins easily and the opposite wheel turns in the opposite direction then the differential is of a conventional type. if its a bit harder to turn with your hand and if both wheels spins in the same direction then it is of te limted slip type.

now i had my car up on the lift last week and i tried to turn the front wheel with my hand. it spun very easily and the other wheel went in the opposite direction... just like in my old 94 corolla.

now does that mean somehow i got gypped of the LSD? did the previous owner re place the differential or left half-shaft with a convential one or something? how else can i test it?

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
Do a smokey burn out. If it's LSD, you will get 2 smokey tires. I always do. My Talon only smokes the passenger side tire hence no LSD :mad:

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Did you have the car in gear when you tried this? If you didn't then that's why the wheels spun in different directions. If you have a '91-'97 SE-R, or NX, then you have the LSD tranny.

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
eric96ser said:
Did you have the car in gear when you tried this? If you didn't then that's why the wheels spun in different directions. If you have a '91-'97 SE-R, or NX, then you have the LSD tranny.
That is incorrect. Not all of those cars came with LSD. At least not as a standard feature. It was an option.

I will look through my stuff. There is a way to read you Serial# to verify if your car has LSD or not.

If someone else has those codes, could you please post them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
DAMN IT, NOW YOU'RE GONNA HAVE ME JACKIN UP MY **** ON LUNCH BREAK!!!

I get torQue steer all the time when I launch. Is that suppose to happen with a LSD?

*help me*

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
NismoPC said:

That is incorrect. Not all of those cars came with LSD. At least not as a standard feature. It was an option.

I will look through my stuff. There is a way to read you Serial# to verify if your car has LSD or not.

If someone else has those codes, could you please post them.

Thanks!
Nope, ALL NX, Sentra SE-R, and 200SX SE-R from '91 to '97 had the limited slip differential. The only car it was optional on was the G20. That's why I didn't mention it before. Smooth daddy, save your lunch break for eating, you have the LSD tranny.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
eric96ser said:

Smooth daddy, save your lunch break for eating, you have the LSD tranny.
Thanks, now I can enjoy my Country Vegetable Chunky Soup!!!!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Also remember our LSD is a Vlsd, its a viscous liquid in there. it doesnt go full lock until the fluid spins up. Its not as good as a gear LSD but it is a little more friendly for every day driving. so to really tell if you got the VLSD is to really spin the tires hard and possibly with load. Usualy the easiest way is to from a stop turn the wheel hard left or right, and give it tons of gas. one wheel will slightly scratch but car will pull. without LSD the inside tire will blow up hard in to smoke.

ALL 91-97 SE-R's have a VLSD
ALL NX2000's have a VLSD
00+ SE 2.0 PP 5 speed have VLSD
G20 It was on the T's some years, others its optional....

My auto even has a vlsd..... Pretty sure 95-97 auto's have a vlsd also... dont quote me on that one tho

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Bowlcut said:

ALL 91-97 SE-R's have a VLSD
ALL NX2000's have a VLSD
00+ SE 2.0 PP 5 speed have VLSD
G20 It was on the T's some years, others its optional....
Wouldn't ya know it, after reading the thread in full, my '91 NX2000 had VLSD, I sell it, buy a '96 G20 (not 't') and NO VLSD! Damn!

Oh well!

I stand corrected!

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
i have always wondered if the VLSD wares out over time ? if it dose what mile mark dose it usually quit ?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I think a few people on the list have theroized that it does "wear out" after time. Probaly just the fluid losing some of its viscoisty or something. I dont know. Ive hear some people say it doesnt feel as good over time...but that could also be things like bushings wearing out

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
usually you can just look at the metal plate on the firewall, and look at the transmission code...if the last letter of it is V, then you have the LSD.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
if it is gear, and one tire is on the ground, it doesnt matter what tranny you have, it will not turn unless you really try, like with a torque wrench on the hub nut or something (then you may start the engine or pull it off the jack, depending on whether you have lsd or not and how fast you turn it)

i tested my LSD (i have a 97 tranny) by jacking up one side and trying to turn the wheel, it is slightly hard to turn but not very hard, however, the faster you try to turn it, the more it resists you, and will always only let you spin it so fast before it gets to hard to try to spin it any faster. remember it isnt a locked diff, but a limited slip, it will allow one tire to turn a little, with some resistance, and will also only allow it to spin a certain amount faster than the other wheel. if it didnt let it turn at all, you would hop all over the place on slower, tighter turns, and actually be detrimental to handling.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
oh yeah, my unlimited slip 98 tranny would let me spin one tire as fast as i wanted it to by hand when it was out of gear and jacked up only on one side.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Nick said:
i have always wondered if the VLSD wares out over time ? if it dose what mile mark dose it usually quit ?
Well.. I'm not certain about how long it takes but I've heard that if you autocross or track race you'll wear out the VLSD rather quickly. I also know that if you compare the stock VLSD to a Quaiffe unit then the stocker might as well be an open diff. I also know that Nissan claims that the fluid in the LSD will never wear out and never need replacement..

So... I would say just drive it hard and if you think you're not getting what you should out of your diff, then buy a Quaiffe. I have a feeling about 80% of casual autocrossers/roadracers wouldn't notice the difference between a good and bad diff. I know personally that I've got a loooooong way to go in my autocross career before I complain about the LSD not working. :)

Edit: I just realized most people here are drag racers, and in that case I really don't know ****. ;)

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Blah, Quaiffe is the biggest ripoff ever considering there is another option for our cars now. Those bastards are the ones that prevented the Primera stock LSD's from being imported so they would have almost a monopoly on LSD's for our cars. Now Phantom Grip has finished prototyping their piggy back on Jamie's car. I've heard this PG is SMOOTH. I think it's around 250 or something. Far less than the $900 or whatever the hell Quaiffe charges now. Don't get me wrong, Quaiffe LSD is awesome. But, for the money, it is NOT 3 times better than the PG. If you are a hardcore road racer, then you woulnd't mind paying that extra money anyway. But if you are just a weekend racer like me, the PG would be much better suited for your needs.

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
92SE-R said:
Blah, Quaiffe is the biggest ripoff ever considering there is another option for our cars now. Those bastards are the ones that prevented the Primera stock LSD's from being imported so they would have almost a monopoly on LSD's for our cars. Now Phantom Grip has finished prototyping their piggy back on Jamie's car. I've heard this PG is SMOOTH. I think it's around 250 or something. Far less than the $900 or whatever the hell Quaiffe charges now. Don't get me wrong, Quaiffe LSD is awesome. But, for the money, it is NOT 3 times better than the PG. If you are a hardcore road racer, then you woulnd't mind paying that extra money anyway. But if you are just a weekend racer like me, the PG would be much better suited for your needs.

Terrin
92 SE-R
Their web-site doesn't list this as one that the have, where did you get your information from? Just curious....is it a VLSD or a LSD? TIA!

~Ryan

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
yeah, you probably dont have a V on the end of your tranny code.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts