SR20 Forum banner

How wants to help?

577 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bowlcut 
#1 ·
Ok, I think im finally going to install my headers, as long as its above freazing. Im going to start hopefully on fri. the 25th. I have alotted myself time on through tue, so I have about 5 days to work. Ill only work a few hours on fri because i cant start until like 3:00. Hopefully Ill finish it on Friday. Anybody want to come and help me? Please. BTW, im in northern VA. Oh yeah, does anybody know what to do if I break a stud? Do I have to drill it out? If so, how do I do that? TIA

#3 ·
Normaly I would offer, seeing how i usualy will go anywhere being i can get a free floor to sleep on. But Im getting low on money and jobs arent poping up that much.

As for breaking a stud...get an easy out set. they are reverse thread bits. if you break a stud you may end up having to pull the radiator for clearance tho. dont go straight to drilling with a big bit tho. Get the easy outs and start small, not so small they will break tho. More than likely if the threads arent galled up you can back it out with just barely a bite on them. When we broke one of John's it backed halfway out till it hit galled up threads.

#5 ·
broken studs are cake!
At least they have been in my case :)
just get a reverse drill bit, centerpunch the broken stud, and drill it out, if the bit does not take it out then easy out the mofo after it is drilled :)
also, for really stubborn bolts, a bit of penetrating oil plus a bit of heat (propane torch) helps a ton.

#6 ·
Well listen to this calum...they had me drill the stud that was broken. they couldnt figure out why i cursed the whole time...and i mean that i cursed the whole time "i hate ****ing easy outs...i hate ****in easy outs" over and over and over again. but i got it halfway out with it and then it hit the galled threads and stoped. i didnt have the balls to do it any further knowing our history :D. didnt want to use the option of jb weld...like we did and it was brought up for fixing this as well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.