SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about getting this 94 sentra ser auto.But how well do the auto tranny's hold up with mods?
any other info will also be appreciated.thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
The auto tranny will hold up to the abuse of most bolt on mods. (Intake, header, exhaust, cams, ecu etc) The older sr20 trannys are better then the 2000-2001 B15 SE tranny. You can always call Level 10 and have them build up your tranny and a new torque converter. :)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
What he's saying is they don't hold up to Boost or nitrous very well. To be honest mine holds up fine as long as I only spray if I'm taking off, or above ~65mph. If I'm going slower than that the car shifts really hard and fast, so if I spray then, it just slips bad.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I agree with storm. I plan to (and keep putting off) swap out mine to manual, but I know that one day I will have to do it. My main problem is the fact that the auto's are so damn much slower than the manual.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Storm88000 said:
Slower than manual, crappy throttle response, and you have so little control during racing, you can't rev-match (obviously) or downshift when you want to before turns.
Wrong on all counts.

Accelerating is not slower than manual when you consider that the shifts are instantaneous. Also, if you have a high stall converter, you are in the power band of the engine in any gear more than in a manual.

My 1/8 mile times are in the same range as manual trans cars with the same mods.

You may be right about throttle response because the torque converter has more mass than a clutch, but it's not so bad that I've heard anyone complain.

There is a shift lever which will change gears up or down.

Rev matching is easy, move the lever and blip the gas.

Not only that, you can left foot brake while feathering the gas to control drifting in the curves.

You can't miss a shift, and the shifts are easier on the chassis.

If you have an OBD-II car, the trans is controlled electronically, and you can get a shifter from Level 10 which works with switches. Formula 1 style.

I love my Level 10 auto trans! Come to Texas and I'll give you a ride.

Lew

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Level 10 auto trannys do kick ass. But I'll stick with my manual, I have owned both by the way. I guess its just personal preferance. If you have to go auto, level 10 is the way to go!

-Josh

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Well I have the level 10 tc and it sucks donkey ballz. As soon as I get the money and free time, I'm taking the slushomatic out and throwing it in the river.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Accelerating is not slower than manual when you consider that the shifts are instantaneous. Also, if you have a high stall converter, you are in the power band of the engine in any gear more than in a manual.
Explain why everyone doesn't use automatic then? Why don't real race cars?

My 1/8 mile times are in the same range as manual trans cars with the same mods.
You have a turbo (according to your sig) - thats a whole different ball game compared to NA.

There is a shift lever which will change gears up or down.
Pressing a button and then moving a lever to gear 1 or 2 is alot more difficult than pushing in the clutch and downshifting. Also, you have to worry about accidentally shifting into Reverse or Park (I realize this is difficult but I've seen it happen.) Keep in mind during racing you hjave to do what you need to do as fast as possible.

Not only that, you can left foot brake while feathering the gas to control drifting in the curves.
You have a point there, I'll admit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Storm88000 said:
Explain why everyone doesn't use automatic then? Why don't real race cars?
The stock auto trans is poorly matched to the SR20 engine. It takes a $3000 mod to make it right.

Auto trans is widely used in drag racing of V8 high power cars.

You have a turbo (according to your sig) - thats a whole different ball game compared to NA.
Yes, indeed! But a Level 10 trans would be a kick NA, too.

Pressing a button and then moving a lever to gear 1 or 2 is alot more difficult than pushing in the clutch and downshifting. Also, you have to worry about accidentally shifting into Reverse or Park (I realize this is difficult but I've seen it happen.) Keep in mind during racing you hjave to do what you need to do as fast as possible.
No need to press a button. You just move the lever from one position to another. It won't go into reverse or park, though because you DO have to press a button to go there. (Admittedly it is possible to accidentally shift into neutral.) It takes practice, just like shifting a manual trans fast without grinding or missing entirely.

I have nothing against manual trans cars (I own one, a Maserati Bora). I just happened to get an auto trans econo car for commuting to school (before I knew it had any performance potential at all) and made the most of it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the great info guys.This would be my 2nd car if I buy this.I have a 91 classic with BB motor 5 speed.So really this I dont need top notch speed.Thats what my other classic is for.Just love the sr20 motor!

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Wow, I've never looked at L10's web site before, they have some nice tricks there.

The rebuild kit is $579.

Then there's the valve body recalibration which is another $700. -OUCH!-

And the torque convertor torque convertor for another $500.

That stuff adds up QUICK!

Does anyone have just the rebuild kit? I wonder how well that would work with a bolt-on only engine. My NX has almost 200,000 miles and the 1-2 shift is long and drawn out, but the 2-3 is fine.

C

·
Registered
415 Posts
with some good synthetic oil and an external cooler you should be fine, mine rips from 1st to 2nd, jdm primera stuff and soon with some nos

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
And you have just the rebuild kit?

Chris

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
I had the rebuild kit and torque converter in my subie, it wasnt half bad!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Since my tranny started slipping for some reason the 1-2 shift is hard as hell. It feels good.

·
-John-
690 Posts
I used to have an auto classic and I love the 1-2 shift. At anywhere above 3/4 throttle it'd squeal the tires. It was just very surprising out of a little econo car when you were next to people, I had so many people have that double"did it just do that?" look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts