SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes a car faster HP or Torque, if you had 2 like cars but 1 had 150 hp 140 torque, the other 150 torque and 140 hp, what would the difference be in 0-60 or 1/4 mile?

Confused

there are many cars out there with more HP than ours, but less torque, what gives?

·
Registered
178 Posts
It all depends on the weight of the car.
the heavier the car, the more torque it requires

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
That's a pretty inane quote, far from truth. I'd be very surprised if Carrol Shelby actually said that. Read the article I posted, it'll answer your question and explain why "hp sells cars, torque wins races" is a bullshit comment.

[This message has been edited by Scarpa (edited 03-15-2001).]

G

·
Well, please correct me if I am wrong here. As I understand it, torque is actually measured from a car, and horsepower is then derived using an equation. So, horsepower is really the sustained amount of torque over time. And, all the cars with high horepower and low torque have their power peak at a pretty high RPM. So, these cars are able to sustain applied torque over a longer powerband, at a higher RPM, and they end up being pretty quick. But, the driver doesn't feel horsepower, they feel torque. I like having a little more torque, because I like getting that kick in the seat. Just remember, if you have no torque, you are not going anywhere. But this seems to be one of those subjects that can be argued forever.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">That's a pretty inane quote, far from truth.</font>
Nope. When you think about it,it's actually very true.

Consider. Whenever you see a car advertisment,especially one geared for the enthusiast,isn't how much HP the car's engine is making one of the first things mentioned?

Also,talk to ANY honduh enthusiast, especially when comparing the NX or SE-R to a Si or an ITR,and the first thing they'll do is beat you over the head with the fact that their VTEC engine makes more HP than your,supposedly,crappy SR20DE.

And WHY do honduh enthusiasts buy Si's and ITR's in the first place? HP!
So in that sense,HP DOES sell cars.

As for Torque:
If the stock Si vtec motor has more HP than the stock SR20DE motor,how come the stock SR20 powered car can be a match for the honduh in the 1/4 mile?
I would say the higher Torque output of the SR20DE.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'd be very surprised if Carrol Shelby actually said that.</font>
Now I'm not 100% sure that Carrol Shelby said it or not. It is something that I saw when flipping through one of the V8 rags once. And it was something I just thought I'd throw out.
I in no way meant it as a flame.

BTW,that link was very informative. I also found another link that that you guys can bookmark:
http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/tech_dept.htm

------------------
Thomas Fox
'93 NX2000
www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thank you very much one and all. The conversation came up with me and my buddy because he has 1.8t beetle, 150 hp, 160 torque, and it feels like it would blow mine away, NX, UDP, AEBS headers, Pop intake, so really I should be up around the same HP number, but damn his pulls better. Have not had a chance to go against him yet, will soon. Thanks again.

92NX, 63K, AEBS, UDP, Pop intake.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Watch out for those turbo Beetles. I hear they are geared for top end. So you may pull on him at first,but he'll end up passing you up by the time you hit third gear.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Well from what I have experienced with my NA sr20.... (intake , header, JWT ecu, and exh.) .... You dont have to be to worried.... (had him in 3rd and 4th):)

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts