SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am not the only one with this problem even though I have 1.6 2nd Gen HS headers. SE-R.net says the sound is not a posing problem, but it sure as hell is annoying. So all the people with this problem, can we brainstorm this issue or is it hopeless?

Now I was thinking some of the possible causes:
It only happens at 2000-3000 rpm, right?

1. Can it be EGR pipe leaking or would we hear it all the time if it was?
2. Headers design that causes resonating sound at the rpm range and there is nothing we can do?
3. Flex pipe leaking? Or maybe it's touching cross member?
4. 1st O2 sensor is not tightened?

Any other ideas?

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
i kinda like the sound my hs g4 makes
like a little raspy sound at low rpm, and then it goes nuts with the intake at hi rpm

i think all hs headers make that noise

·
o0 ( []D [] []V[] []D )0o
483 Posts
Well I'm not too sure about how the sound sounds like. but to me it does indeed sound like you have a leak coming from the headers to the egr valve.

I too had this problem with my headers when I did the install. When reaching higher rpms the car sounded like lawn mower/VW Bug. It was a nasty sick nebooty sound which eded to go. When looking into the issues I found hella people whom also had this.

To my surprise I found my issue to cuased from the Egr pipe running from header to the Valve. The pipe had been modified to fit into place with new header. This was a mistake on my end and cuased a friggin leak. When I went down and fixed it, the sound stopped. Makes since too, when reaching a higher rpm, your blowing out exhuast to that EGR Valve, and the pipe is only 9mm or so wide. So any hole or untighted bolt which seals the egr pipe. Will cause a nasty sound. Sort of like placing a piece of tape on your lip and when you blow you get that raspy sound.

So check into the EGR pipe.

Also check your specs on torqing down the header screws, check for any cracks, chreck 02 .

But most likely you have a egr problem.

Hope I Helped. Hit me up for more info on the pipe.

Sub.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sub thanks for advice, but it's not the sound you describe...

It sounds like a slight hissing/cricket chirping (not very loud, but noticeable with radio off). Also the weirdest thing is, it happens only around 2700 rpm or so, while cruising on the highway...

·
483 Posts
hmm... do you have a resonator on your car before the muffler? Is the sound coming from the front end or back end??

I know if it's towards the back end it could be a broken baffle in the muffler. But if it's in the front end of the car I would say it might be a leaky gasket. At least thats what I'm thinking.

You might want to check the gasket before the cat! I know of a few people whom had a bad gasket before the cat which cuased a hissing sound do to a leak.

let me know if you find anything out. This is most intresting.

Sub.

·
483 Posts
:eek:

How odd man, wonder why? Thats really odd.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sub_Function said:
:eek:

How odd man, wonder why? Thats really odd.
Yeah, even Mike K. doesn't seem to know, from se-r.net:

They have been some complaints of a rattle or chirping noise that both headers make at approximately 2500 rpm. To me it sounds like a cricket chirping. This is not harmful and not all cars do it. I am not sure of its root cause.

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
also, check that the primary to secondary gasket is not blown if you have the copper gasket retighten the 3 bolts at least once a month, the nuts tend to back off after a while. hope this helps

·
483 Posts
OH I FORGOT>..

3.95 at walmart,

That will stop em crickets

*Edit(**

1 - 11 of 11 Posts