SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here participating in the group buy for springs by Hypercoils? Here is an email I recieved recently:
THIS IS A GROUP DEAL ON HYPERCOIL SPRINGS

- B13 ONLY (They will fit NX2K's - not recommended rate though)
- (f/r) = 180/175 rate - higher than prokits
- Drops car (f/r) = 1.4'/1.2' = good rake
- Drop in ease of a prokit, no mods necessary
- Working great with AGX's
- If we can get 10 kits price will = $161.99 - cheaper than prokits

I will be providing information later on as to EXACTLY how to pay. I want to let this go for a few weeks to let slow people (which there are a lot of, including myself, to catch on)

Hypercoils contact Info:
www.hypercoils.com

- Ben Moses ([email protected])

I have another email from Ben detailing how these springs worked on his car with AGX's. I can post it here if anyone wants to read it. Anyways, these springs just might be the best ones out there that fit the stock spring perch. Do you guys agree/disagree?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I couldn't resist (why fight it), here is some more info from Ben:

Alright everyone listen up.
(If you are interested in a spring group buy continue reading)

Some of you know that I've been working a deal with a local custom/performance spring machinist (if that's what you call it),
thanks to a reference by Ben Missele. This company makes custom springs for career
oriented race applications as well as
regular cars (like ours).
Richard Jonec at Hypercoils needed a B13 to do some testing of their prototype
springs before production. Well, he got the test bed, it was my car!
Now that the springs are installed and measurements have been taken he's ready
to sell them.

I can tell you this setup feels GREAT! I have my AGX's on 1F/2R and my car
feels like a race car! (I haven't moved them from 1 because I want get used
to 1 so I can appreciate 2, 3, and 4~!!) I drive it like a race car and it
handles like a race car! I can't believe the difference. I've ridden in Ben Davis's car with prokits and I think mine feels stiffer.

Here's the information:

The rates are 180 Front / 175 Rear. Richard felt this was the best compromise between performance and street use. (I did
emphasize higher rates, I really did try). And keep in mind the prokits are 160 Front /
148 Rear so these are higher. If you want to discuss rates, contact Hypercoils... NOT ME. I'm sure if Richard gets a hundred people exclaiming higher rates he might reconsider. But these feel great.

They lower the car conservatively about 1.2 inches all around, which is good
considering our travel characteristics. The car LOOKS GOOD!

Here's the scoop on price/#of kits sold

3 kits sold - price = $193.04 ea
10 kits sold - price = $161.99 ea
25 kits sold - price = $127.57 ea
50 kits sold - price = $108.43 ea

As you can see these prices are GOOD!! Here is contact information for
Hypercoils. www.hypercoils.com
phone : (219) 753-6622 Diane or Amy for sales questions

You can also respond to me since it looks like I've just volunteered myself
to be the owner of a group buy!!
For extremely detailed questions you
might want to contact Hypercoils. Basically it comes down to a lower priced
spring that's slightly higher rate than the prokits, which is what we've been looking for. So if you still got AGX's sitting around from the last Group Buy, here's your chance!!

LET THE EMAIL START FLOWIN
(AND THE FLAMES BEGIN cuz people like to flame!)

-Ben Moses

I went ahead and added my name to the list. The last count showed a total of 3 people on the list. Anyone else want to step up to the plate?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just recieved this email from Hyperco:

Hyperco Sport Spring Kit Overview

Application: 1991 – 1994 Nissan Sentra B13

Hyperco Part Number: NN004.4SK
Individual components of spring kit:
· Front Spring P/N: NN004. FSA
· Rear Spring P/N: NN004. RSA
· “Individual Part Trace-ability”, instructions, and Hypercoil “Promo-Pak”.

Suggested Retail Price: $269.99

Product Characteristics: The spring kit is intended as a general-purpose performance and appearance enhancement product. When a vehicle is equipped with Hypercoils there are several elements that improve the overall handling. Hypercoil lowering is designed to take advantage of the existing suspension geometry and to optimize the relationship of the roll center axis relative to the center of gravity of the vehicle. The lowering improves the appearance of the vehicle and provides the best compromise between the ride and handling characteristics.

The R3 progressive spring characteristics permit the ride frequencies to stay within acceptable limits, but provide the added spring rate to achieve bump load capacities equivalent to the original equipment (O.E.) springs. The softer initial rate is designed to provide the initial O.E. pre-load when the suspension is at full rebound. When the suspension is functioning in its normal operating range the spring rate provides a controlled performance ride but offers enough compliance to maintain occupancy comfort. The selection of rates provides the best compromise between performance and comfort.

The optimized spring calibration reduces the pitch of the vehicle under heavy acceleration or braking. The reduced longitudinal pitch of the vehicle during heavy braking improves the overall braking efficiency because the higher rate of the front springs reduce the amount of load transfer to the front tires. This causes the load on all four tires to be more evenly distributed providing additional traction to the rear tires. The additional gain in rear traction usually results in reduced braking distances.

The proportionate increase in spring rate also reduces body roll, which limits adverse suspension movement. This confines the suspension geometry to stay within parameters that enhance the tires contact patch relative to the road. The result is improved vehicle cornering and handling, because front and rear tire loading is more evenly distributed. Therefore, higher cornering limits can be achieved because the built-in understeer characteristics are reduced and provide for a more neutral yet safe handling vehicle.

Continued on next page.

Hyperco Sport Spring Kit Overview contd.

Hyperco Part Number: NN004.4SK

Technical Specifications:

Approximate Lowering:
· Front: 1.40” (35 mm)
· Rear: 1.25” (30 mm)

Spring Type:
· Front: R3 progressive helical compression, coil over Strut.
· Rear: R3 progressive helical compression, coil over Strut.

Spring Configuration:
· Front: Top- semi closed tangential end. Bottom- semi closed tangential end.
· Rear: Top- semi closed tangential end. Bottom- semi closed tangential end.

Spring Rate:
· Front: 110 lb./in. – 180 lb./in. working range 160 lb./in. – 180 lb./in.
· Rear: 75 lb./in. – 174 lb./in. working range 160 lb./in. – 174 lb./in..

Noise Vibration Harshness Products:

Optional

· Front Celasto (p/n: FC001.BSF): Designed to eliminate metal to metal contact of internal damper components and replaces the front stock bump stop.

· Rear Celasto (p/n: FC001.BSR): Designed to eliminate metal to metal contact of internal damper components and replaces the front stock bump stop.

Of course all technical questions should be directed to Hyperco. Ignore the suggested retail price if you are in on the group buy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just contacted Ben for a pic of his car. He's the moderator of this group buy, I'm just passing along his information. As soon as I get them they'll be posted here. BTW, currently there are three confirmed people in on the group buy and one is possible. I'm one of those confirmed.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I would like to see some pictures also before committing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It might be another week before Ben can get his pics available. I'll check with him tomorrow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok everyone, here are some pic's from Ben:

Remember, he is using KYB AGX's with these springs. I've asked him to let me know what size tires and wheels he is using for another reference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is using size 195/50/15 in the pic.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Would these springs work with the OEM shocks (struts?)? I am interested but cannot afford a totally new suspension at this point.

G

·
Would Hypercoils be willing to custom make springs to different specifications for an additional charge, or will they only sell them like this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They can definitely make springs for any application and spring rate. I suggest you call Richard with Hyperco at 219-753-6622 for custom wound springs. Just let him know you heard about the new springs for the Sentra B13 but that you're inquiring about another application.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Showing my very minimal knowledge on suspensions. Since these springs have a higher spring rate, the ride will be much stiffer than stock? Or even prokits for that matter? Does the progressive winding make up for the stiffness in small bumps? I live in the city, so these are the main reasons I have not purchased any type of setup. However, I have been informed by the dealer that I have a bent strut ;(

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I'm not a suspension guru either but I say that's the reason behind progressive rate springs. The more the spring is compressed (i.e. hard corning) the higher the spring rate. The ride should still remain smooth with 180/175 in lb spring rates. Actually I have read that 300/200 in lb springs rates are very streetable still.

Notice to everyone, the group buy ends this Friday probably, so if you want in let me know. There may be up to 7 persons at this time committed, will know more by Thursday. Remember, if we can get 10 people to sign up then the price goes down from $193.04 to $161.99.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know that these springs are stiffer than the ProKits - and that a lot of people hate the PKs because they're too soft. But how do the PKs compare to stock springs in terms of stiffness? Anybody know?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last call for the group buy, today is the final day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not so sure they would do that, you can contact Richard at Hyperco. If you could send him an email then that will show more interest from the nissan group.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts