SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
...and it is INCREDIBLE!! The difference is great, my car feels so quiet, supple, smooth, and all those other "sizzle" words!! And this is good considering I have no CAT, a HS header, and a GReddy.

I had it layed on my roof, rear quarter panels, trunk, and trunk lid. It does make a difference so I highly recommend it.

Later
J

ps. The girl likes it too. She hated riding in my car until now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How much did you pay for the material? Did you have it installed or DIY? I'm seriously considering the same for my highway jaunts(in addition to making a silencer for the muff).

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I still recommend car underbody or undercoating for a cheap, although permanent, noise reducer. Just spray it on and let it dry. Probably not as quiet as dynomat, but at 2.99 a can or so...

I currently have it in the spare tire area and part of the jack storage area. It cut down on road noise from the back when the roads are wet. I also sprayed it in the lower part of the front doors and that also helped cut down on road noise. I plan on doing another can, but I dont really need it yet and I'm lazy...

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, the can stuff is much better. you can cover a larger area, get better contact. dont have to mess with it coming up. just spray and wait for the smell to go away, especially in the summertime. (in TX anyway)

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
I paid $200 total to have my trunk lid, rear quarter panels, trunk floor, roof, and the part of the rear quarter panel to the left and right of the back seat. I personally wouldnt do it myself because a hairdryer isnt hot enough and what are you gonna use that $20 roller for in the future? nothing... It was more economic to have someone do it (Circuit City).

That can stuff is good, too. I used that on the areas outside the trunk that are exposed to the road. All together they all work great!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya, there is spray stuff that you can buy too and you can use it like spraypaint also, but I know what you are talking about also. that is a really good deal that you got on that stuff. how thick did they go? 1-2 mil.?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well wonder if that Phenoix Gold spray dynomat would be better,read easier to install. Dont know about the price tho.

Wait what are you doing making a classic "nicer" :) Gota have it for raw driving ability screw that heavy "niceities" like sound deading :D

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is about 20 bux a bottle. enough to do a door, I would buy about 4 cans if you wanted to do your whole trunk, and part of your interior.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
about 3 pounds...

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
man, the can stuff blows ass; I used it on my last car and all it did was look, smell, and feel like ****. Dirt and crap would get all stuck to it during the summer when it loosened up...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm with bowlcut and brian here. The stuff is too heavy. I had it in my last car and while it did work, it weighed a ton. For my SE-R, it opted to go to hardware store and buy undercarriage sealant. Spray it on, let it dry, and while it won't do as much as as Dynamat, I now have $198 dollars more to put toward performance. Hey, that's a throttle-body, shaved flywheel or half a clutch.
Racing is all about compromise, though. You want more top end, mess with your timing, but you'll lose bottom end. You want good fuel economy, don't mash the gas off every stoplight just cause ther's a Honda next to you. And if you want a quiet car, be prepared to pay a hefty price in the wallet and your e.t.! If the quiet is worth it to you, I applaude your purchase.
General observation: I don't like some guys (primarily Honduhh owners) who want everything. "Man I want a 12 sec. daily driver with two 15 inchers in the back and a playstation," they say. What ever happened to people understanding that sports cars are not luxury cars. Your car SHOULD be loud if you want 12, 13, or 14 sec e.t.'s. Granted you don't have to strip the interior, or sacrifice a sound system, but keep in mind what your ultimate goal is, whether it be performance, sound system, comfort, showcar or whatever. Personally, I'm performance oriented, but since I drive 100 miles a day for work, I want a good sound system too. Everyone is different.
Just an opinion,
ryan

G

·
0 Posts
3 pounds? Can you clarify? Do you mean 3 pounds per square foot? I've noticed my car is pretty noisy and would like to quiet it down, but I don't want to slow my car down with all the weight..

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
It honestly doesnt add enough weight for it to matter. Dynamat is not THAT heavy! After taking out the compact spare and putting on dynamat, you're still lighter! I went to the track this weekend and my car still only weighs 2495 lbs (all seats in, no spare tire, no jack).

It is true: the key to racing is weight and the distribution of it therein. However, if your car has no cat, a header, and a cat-back, it's going to be tough to talk to your friends while driving interstate speeds.

Personally, while I dont really like the can stuff, I have considered using it as well on the undercarriage...

I dont want a luxury SE-R, I just want it to be fast AND comfortable. I dont even have a system! Just a CD deck and 4 Polk speakers and it sounds decent...

G

·
0 Posts
I have pondered the idea about dynomat myself, for when I do get my exhaust (not sure what to get) and header cuase I know they do give off some noise. I guess I'm the type that wants all 3, comfort, quietness and speed. Let's think about it,... I know dynomat doens't weigh that much, I know its lighter then my subwoofer box (about 30-40lbs w/ speaker) and I can't tell the difference if I drive with it in or out, so there is no way u can feel the difference by adding about 5-10lbs of dynomat(exaggerating the dynomat weight). but I can feel the difference if I have 2 or more people in the car. Just thought I would share my thoughts with ya.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
yeah, mine didnt get too loud until the header and removal of the cat. Removing the CAT makes some pretty serious noise!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi! Thanks for the info about the Dynamat. I was thinking about that but just for the trunk space. My car is not as loud as any of the Honda's out there. I have an HKS exhaust on mine, JWT POP Charger and soon to have JWT Headers. The sound is not to loud right now and it's actually a nice deep tone. But I will keep in mind when it does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts