SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What seteps sound the best? I like the sound of intakes more than exhausts usually(Mostly CAI's). Since intakes and exhausts do not do much for horsepower anyway I am going for stricly sound.

I'll let the I/E do the talking and the turbo do the walking

Thas is if I can ever afford one at my young age.

I was formally a honda man, so I am not sure what brands are the best like AEM and apexi were for Honda...

Thanks, shea.

G

·
Feel free to correct me guys, but it really depends on if you are planning to go turbo or not. If you are planning to go turbo in the near future you would want a different (bigger) exhaust than if you were going to stay NA for a while. If that is the case then I would definately wait on the exhaust until after you went turbo. At this point I personally don't think you could go wrong with a Place Racing or a Hotshot CAI, as they both sound good to me. You will feel the difference though, much more than the exhaust. Exhaust is much more subjective though; personally I think my favoite sounding exhaust is the HKS. However, you could easily fabricate a custom exhaust to fit your tastes as well.

Max

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks max. My aunt and uncle live in Cincinnati too. In Hamilton county about 20 minutes north of downtown. I love it out there...

I think I read something about AEM making a CAI for the SR20DE's in SCC or something. Is thi true???

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Ok....

1. Hotshot and Place Racing CAI's sound EXACTLY the same. The only ones that tend to sound different are the JWT POP version of the CAI's in respect to the non-POP versions. (A POP version is a CAI with a special adapter to use if you're upgrading from the JWT POP to a HS or PR CAI)

2. A 2.25" cat-back exhaust and CAI would probably give you around 7-9hp, believe it or not. Our SR20's love bolt-ons.

3. If you're going to go turbo soon, either get a 3" exhaust or don't get one at all. If you get a 2.25" exhaust now you'll be wasting your money come down the road when you have to get a 3".

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Oh and yes, AEM is coming out with a CAI for our cars.

But I suggest you don't buy it. They've never made CRAP for our cars. They're just jumping the bandwagon, since they've now realized our cars DO have an aftermarket so now they want to make some money. **** them.

·
Registered
756 Posts
AEM CAI feel like crap compared to Place Racing's CAI. The AEM's have thin metal compared to the thick ceramic coated metal of PR's. My CAI always stayed cool compared to my buddies with AEM equipped Si's. You could hardly touch theirs.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:

But I suggest you don't buy it. They've never made CRAP for our cars. They're just jumping the bandwagon, since they've now realized our cars DO have an aftermarket so now they want to make some money. **** them.
</font>
So what you are saying is, that back in the day before there was a such thing as Hotshot, and you only just began to hear their name pop up around Nissan's, you would tell people you wouldnt buy from them because theyve never dealt wiht the engine before? Wow, seems theyve become pretty popular. AEM was brought up as a honda only company. Yeah, they are a little late in realizing the potential for our engines...so what. We should be happy that we have more choices now. You cant say they suck before youeve ever even R&D'd one.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Yeah, the only thing I'd consider buying from AEM is the by-pass valve. But if another company finds a way to get around their patent on it I'll go for theirs. </font>
Why is that? It doesnt even do jack ****. Its almost impossible for ater to make it that far up the intake, unless you sat in a foot dep pudle and tried o suck water up. And at that point, there is no stopping it. The AEM bypass valve is a gimmick.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RPWSER:
Why is that? It doesnt even do jack ****. Its almost impossible for ater to make it that far up the intake, unless you sat in a foot dep pudle and tried o suck water up. And at that point, there is no stopping it. The AEM bypass valve is a gimmick.
</font>
Guess you didn't see the SCC test. It worked. They had an NSX or somehting, submerged the filter in a fish tank full of water, and the by-pass valve stopped it from getting into the engine.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
I have the GReddy. its\'s phat. A little annoying at freeway speeds. It might be jsut my car but the pulleys cleared up a lot of that. I hope to have a pr tomorrow with the pop. yeah theres one for B13

1 - 14 of 14 Posts