SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spend over $300 to fix my emissions because it failed, now it just failed again, but worse than before! WTF?! The $tealership replaced the EGR solenoid, cleaned out the EGR tube and hoses, adjusted my idle. I myself replaced the PCV and fuel filter and now Im getting higher readings than the first time I had it inspected. So whats next? I guess I should look at the condition of the plugs and wires, although I barely have 10k miles on them. Anybody think it would help if I put in some 91 or higher octane gas through it before I went back? Can anybody give me some suggestions on what to do next???? Thanks

-jason

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Hey one thing I did to my first car ( 95 200sx SE ) was do a couple of top speed passes on the freeway before going to do my test! My SE had all the bolt ons plus no cat and I still passed. Are you getting the car up to temp before doing your test? Cars make the most pollution at cold startup. Try finding a Civic on your way to the test..spank him good and see what how the test goes! Good luck! hope this helps

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (stock)

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jayac:
I just spend over $300 to fix my emissions because it failed, now it just failed again, but worse than before! WTF?! The $tealership replaced the EGR solenoid, cleaned out the EGR tube and hoses, adjusted my idle. I myself replaced the PCV and fuel filter and now Im getting higher readings than the first time I had it inspected. So whats next? I guess I should look at the condition of the plugs and wires, although I barely have 10k miles on them. Anybody think it would help if I put in some 91 or higher octane gas through it before I went back? Can anybody give me some suggestions on what to do next???? Thanks

-jason
</font>
Retard your timing. Waaay back. If it is advanced to 17 degrees this may be it. Is it failing for HC's? Thats a possibility. If it is failing NOx try bellding your cooling system and changing the thermostat seeing that you already did a EGR cleanout.

If all else fails just get a new cat.

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
Change you oil and filter right before you go in for testing, alot of bypass HC and junk are carried around in the oil. If you can tell us what it is faling on ie. HC NoX might give me a direction for advice

G

·
0 Posts
Did you try the o2 sensor? Did you allow proper heating of the cat?the rest are already posted. Good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First test:

NOx 1338
HC 222

Second test:

NOx 2404
HC 214

So you can see it failed both, both times. I did change the O2 sensor back in April.

Pretty White, what do you mean by "bellding the cooling system"? How does the cooling system affect the emissions?? My cat should be nice and toasty by the time I get to the inspection station, its about a 10 min. drive doing 50mph. I also have never advanced my timing, so I dont think that could be it, though, it should probably be checked.

-jason

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
when i did my readings at my friends shop i had readings that high too but thats for 1 reason cause i dont run a cat... but a thing he told me to do just in case is to have only 1/4 of a tank and use 3 bottles of dry gas to lean it out and it usually passes but i think ur porb might be the cat somehow...and the 3 bottles shiet wont work if thats the cat.

G

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jayac:
What is "G2P"it? I've never heard of it.

-jason
</font>
It is short for a gas addictive called "Gurantee To Pass" or something like that. It is for you to use it before they snuff the smog.

------------------
Nelson
"What is a G20 stands for?" G-spot 20x.........

·
Registered
166 Posts
I dumped a bottle of the "garrenty to pass" with new oil,plugs,cap&rotor and passed

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just had to bluff the guy on the aftermarket stuff was carb legal he he

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I pulled my plugs and here is what I found:
http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/jasoncope1975/images/sparkplug.jpg

They all have a white, ashy look to them. According to my Haynes manual the following conditions could be the problem:
too hot
lean mixture
sticking valve
intake manifold vacuume leak
over advanced timing
insufficient cooling
Thats a lot of things to consider. Ugh

-jason

1 - 16 of 16 Posts