SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Since I got my car last winter I have been slightly annoyed that the car used 1 quart every 3K. Changed the PCV valve, nothin. Tried mobil 1 synthetic, nothin. Last oil change I used Valvoline Max Life. It has been like 2K and my level has not budged on the dipstick. Fully recommend the stuff!! If you are at redline regulary you of course better change it every 3K like it's your job cause the stuff is not synthetic.

Dewar

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Andy: Max-life usually means bigger oil molecules. Your leak isn't gone. The new oil just isn't small enough to go through it. Did you notice an increase in oil cons. when you used M-1?

I'm not tryin to diss v-max, it's probably good oil. I'm just tellin you my take on the situation.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just switched from Max-life to Mobil 1 Synthetic. I have used Mobil 1 for the longest time. When I first bought the car it had 124,000 miles on it so I decided it was best to start out with Valvoline Max-life so I could break it into the speed monster that it is now. So now it has Tri-synthetic in its veins. I did drop the oil pan and put a nice bead of copper gasket sealer on there, though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize I didn't ultimately fix the car. However I doesn't drip one bit or smokc. I think I burned a slight amount because my rings are beat. Max Life may have conditioned them to not let oil get past. I don't add oil anymore, it follows my compression is up. As far I care, I fixed the damn annoyance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts