SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a 92 se-r for sale for a grand, its got 175k on the clock and the tranny is popping out in 5th. the car runs well, minus 5th and the body is not beat to snot but it does need a little tlc. my question is, if i have to do a new engine, how much does a low mileage usdm sr20de run with install, ball park figure? also what about that tranny prob, any guesses on what that might cost or should i just do a newer used one cuz this ones got 175k on it? i have to do a usdm engine cuz i have emissions testing where i live in ohio. also a det is probably not an option due to emmisions and cost, although i would love to have the boost :D .

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Check out www.se-r.net for info on 5th gear popout.
Most people here install engines themselves, I don't know how much it is to pay someone else to do it.
Most used engines are JDM. I think you could make it pass emmissions if you used the USDM exhaust manifold and intake manifold. That way you could retain the EGR function.

I hope someone else can answer the engine swap questions and emissions. I am only guessing because I have not done this.

Why do you think you will need a new motor? My 91 SE-R has 265000 miles on it. It had 5th gear popout fixed at 185000 miles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can't really answer your questions, but I'm curious as to where you live in OH. I know only a few counties have the E-Check Nazis watching over us (I live in Summit). I figure its always nice to see some SE-Rs up here, as they are scarce as hell.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Sammy

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
maynard said:
i found a 92 se-r for sale for a grand, its got 175k on the clock and the tranny is popping out in 5th. the car runs well, minus 5th and the body is not beat to snot but it does need a little tlc. my question is, if i have to do a new engine, how much does a low mileage usdm sr20de run with install, ball park figure? also what about that tranny prob, any guesses on what that might cost or should i just do a newer used one cuz this ones got 175k on it? i have to do a usdm engine cuz i have emissions testing where i live in ohio. also a det is probably not an option due to emmisions and cost, although i would love to have the boost :D .
You can get some tranny costs here: http://car-part.com/ . They tend to be a bit high, but in stock around the US. A 91 - 94 SER tranny will fit, and will a 95-97 200 SX SER tranny with minor mods required http://johnheer.homestead.com/files/autos/autos7.html . I think the JDM motor will pass with your intake and exhaust manifolds/emmisions bolted on. JDM motors figure $500 plus install, cheaper if you shop around.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
If you buy the car for a grand, buy a JDM engine for $500 or less with less than 30k miles on it, and have it installed, you will still be way ahead, probably less than $2k total. Just make sure the body is straight, no rust, and that the electrical system is working the way it's supposed to. Even if you must do brake or suspension work before long, you will still have a great car for a relatively small investment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts