SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime (well almost everytime) I get out of my car (B14)... Is this a common problem for everone, or does that mean my car's electric scheme has a bad ground?

·
Old
744 Posts
I thought it was just me cause I'm a girl with the long thick hair...ouch! I hate dry cold...brings on the nosebleeds too.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I think it has something to do with you making a connection with your feet on the ground and touching the door to close it at the same time. I remember there was a simple thing to do to prevent it but I forget. Best bet is to get out, and close the door with your knee or ass.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
yeah, dry cold weather sucks! one time I was at the drag strip and freezin my ass off. Every time I got out of the car to push it forward in line or something, I'd shock myself.

One trick I do is hold the metal part of the key and touch the door when I get out. You'll still feel a little current flow through you but it goes through the key to the door instead of directly from your finger so it's not as bad.

Khiem

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
One trick I do is hold the metal part of the key and touch the door when I get out. You'll still feel a little current flow through you but it goes through the key to the door instead of directly from your finger so it's not as bad.
This works like a charm. Try it next time. Actually, you can probably try it in your house right now. Get out your key, scruff your feet on the floor, and touch the key to the door knob.

·
8,148 Posts
Downy, Fab or Sta Puff. Stop forgetting to add the fabric softner. Try some Head and Shoulders too. Should help reduce the static cling. Oooh wait, you mean static on the car? Sorry.:)

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Winter: get bent.

I can walk down the hall in my house and produce a static shock every ten feet. I'm in a habit to touch the wall or anything non-metal every time I get out of a chair.

If you don't have anything else handy to ground yourself, use a fingernail instead of the fingertip. It hurts less.

·
Registered
429 Posts
static electricity

I keep getting shocked when I get out of my car... and even if I do close it with my legs or knees, I get shocked with the next metal item I touch... sometimes I'll get shocked through my clothes... well I'm gonna try that key trick thingy

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Fast91SER said:
This never happens in south FL :D

Speak for yourself buddy! I get shocked all the damn time :eek: . I am also scared to close my door at times! :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
eric96ser said:
The way to avoid this is to grab the door, before your feet touch the ground.
Yeah, I am aware of that trick Eric, but I get shocked when I grab the door to open it (touch metal screw or something).. LOL before even I try to get out

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
How I've gotten around that annoying shock:

Close the door by pushing the window, and lock it with the key. Its kind of a fail-safe method. get into this habit, not only will you not get shocked but you will also never lock your keys in the car :p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts