SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally after much research..and..debating..( you guys did most of it for me ) I decided to buy the Ground Controls! I went and picked them up earlier today and now im sitting here looking at them...( installing tomorrow ) I went with 300/200. Hopefully my stock struts and shocks can hold up for a lil bit longer. ( till I can afford the AGX's ) So just wondering if you guys got a lil tips with the install. I know its pretty straight foward..My main concern as far as tips are...thinkgs I can do to keep from getting the sqeaking problem I keep hearing about. Also I remember hearing about some kind of Duct tape trick..to keep the sqeaking away also..so feel free to post any suggestions! Thanks guys!

------------------
Irwin 96 wit stuff

·
Registered
756 Posts
Put some sylicone type lubricant on the the springs and I think they won't make noises. I put it on my front coils and they are quiet, the back are a different story. Unless its caused from the perches. And you if you end up not liking the GC's, just send them to me

·
Registered
50 Posts
These things are easy to go on. I used duct tape but I had no idea it was a popular thing. I just wrapped the shockes with it so the aluminum piece fit snug around the shock. Also what I did was I heated up the aluminum so it slid over the tape (heat expands) then once it was on and cooled off...it wouldnt move. Im sure the weight of the car is enough but I felt better having it snug in my hand. Also I had to machine the aluminum (Damn, I can't think of what these things are called!) thingys to fit snug on my shocks. oh yeah, when installing shocks...make sure you put the front up front and the back in the back!

·
Registered
166 Posts
my rears made the most sqeeking untill i put some grease between the purch and the top mount then the noise went away.also got a shampoo bottle because its plastic and put it between the spring and purch.dont know if that made any diference but I can see where the spring has rubed against it

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:
Hopefully my stock struts and shocks can hold up for a lil bit longer. ( till I can afford the AGX's ) So just wondering if you guys got a lil tips with the install. </font>
Tip #1 Don't use the stock struts!!!! Do yourself the favor and just wait till you can put them on at the same time as AGX's!!!

Tip #2 When you do the install use the tape trick. Most people just put it around the strut body at the bottom, where the collar sits, to keep it from moving around and makin noise, and i guess some at the top of the collar cant hurt either

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Don't know about the stock shocks, but on AGXs, you actually need to do a bit of grinding on them. The top of all the internal components is a bit larger in diameter than the collars. Therefore, the collars don't go over them. I brought my shocks to work and used a ginding wheel to grind them down until they slid on. Took about an hour.

I have no idea what this tape trick is. GC supplied me with little rubber O-rings to fit around the shock body to keep the collars in place. As for the squeeking, GC supplies a bushing for the rear. These things squeek like a mouse on crack. Put some grease (some moly grease is what I used) on the top and bottom of this bushing where is rubs against the top mount and aluminum spring hat. Squeeking gone.

This will all make sense when you get everything out and look at it.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 04-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 04-10-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts