SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This damn car...

I finally got everything dorted out, went to smog it and was sure it would pass. I go in, engine running still, get the office person to come out andd get the mileage and all, and right in front of her eyes the CEL comes on. Code 3, 2. EGR MALFUNCTION!

Nothing is wrong with the EGR, I just cleaned it, new vac lined, new solenoids, everything is new!

I must say, I am DONE with this new car crap.

I will probably sell the vehicle within the month.

·
all motor
1,820 Posts
damn man, sorry to hear about the problems. my friends classic threw the EGR malfunction code while it was gettin smogged last week. all new vacuum lines everywhere and a brand new EGR and BPT valve, car still failed. we just cleaned this metal tube and it passed today with flying colors. My se-r would throw that same code about 5 minutes after reseting the ecu. all i did was clean this metal tube with a wire and some carb cleaner and i havent seen the CEL in about a week. you said u cleaned EVERYTHING so u probably already took care of it, but just to make sure, heres the link to what im talkin about

click on "Surge and Hesitation"

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/problems/index.html#Surge and hesitation

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, but yeah, already done. One thing I am very suspicious of, exhaust backpressure. The exhaust is rediculously free flowing in the car. Hotchot to a cat to 2.5" thru an RX7 pre silencer and exits ahead of the rear wheel. ungodly loud on top end, but the loss of backpressure the stock system presents could cause the ecu to think the EGR isnt working, no?

I think before I give up totally, I will put a restrictor plate in the exhaust. and seeif I get a cel again.

Sorry all about the roughness of the first post, but I drove a half hour on the freeway in rush hour only to fail before I even tested. Venting :)

·
all motor
1,820 Posts
the more restrictive the exhaust is, the more air crammed back through the EGR, i believe. i would definately give it a shot to see if that would help, it might just work. driving for a half hour just to fail sounds familiar to lots of guys on the forum, me included.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Restrictor is in, smogging tomorrow. Wish me luck...

4 1/2" holes. Easier to do. Runs ok, quieter for sure!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
-BLAM!- It failed again. Reverse of last time. Now it failed the 15mph test, and passed the 25 with flying colors!

25mph NOx: MAX 764 meas: 258!

15mph nox: max 825 meas. 1515

25mph HC: max 101 meas. 99

15mph HC: max 127 meas. 168

1 - 8 of 8 Posts