SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting ready to swap tranny's out of the 2 se-r's I have and when I pulled the clutch off the 91 it looked like this..

Now I've had this in for a year with no problems. Its a 2k disc with a jwt pressure plate. The springs were hitting the flywheel bolts which is what ground them down. I do not have any washers or anything on the flywheel bolts. Did I just have the disc in backwards?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey twisted your from peoria? I used to live in sterling. I don't miss the weather at all!

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Holy cow I didn't even thing it was possible for a disk to be installed like that let alone be used for a whole year!

·
Registered
329 Posts
How would you bolt down the pressure plate if the clutch plate were in backwards?? :confused: Maybe you can but I think you'd hear bad noises immediately.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the side that sticks out of the clutch disc was towards the flywheel and the flat side was towards the pressure plate. I'm guessing that is why this happened. I searched and searched before I did my clutch job and I guess I read somewhere or couldn't find how to exactly place the disc in. I don't really remember but it's lasted a year with alot of passes at the drag strip. Also my flywheel looks like it's warped, maybe this could have been what caused it?

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
classicred said:
Hey twisted your from peoria? I used to live in sterling. I don't miss the weather at all!
yes screw you and your nice weather lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
wow your disc is pretty messed up! try putting the throwout bearing in backwards... that's a real doozy ;)

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
didnt that make alot of noise when you started it?

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Here is my question. How was it mounted behind the pp? Was the protruding part facing the flywheel or the bell-housing? I find it hard to imagine that you were even able to shift gears with the protruding part of the disc facing the flywheel.

This leads me to another question. How does the flywheel look like?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats the way it was in there when I took it out. The bolts on the flywheel are ground down a bit but not much. It looks like its warped though I can't really tell till I get it off. It worked fine. The side that sticks out was facing the flywheel as you can see in the pic. It is flat on the otherside.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Yea, it was facing the wrong way then. Good thing you didn't suffer any real damages. I'm still surprised how you managed to shift gears, much less drive the car.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know I couldn't belive it when I took the pp off. Good thing I bought another se-r if I would have kept driving on that it could have been a big mess! The new se-r I bought won't go into first and second every so often and that's why I took the tranny out of my old one so I could swap them.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
Holy cow I didn't even thing it was possible for a disk to be installed like that let alone be used for a whole year!
Its possible, I did it. But I couldn't adjust it right and it didn't feel right, so I took it apart before I even drove it. I was used to SR20's so I knew something was weird.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Normally the disks have a sticker on them that say flywheel. I didn't think it was possible to disengage a clutch that was in backwards. Anyways the side that sticks out of the disk, goes towards the pp. Thats crazy you drove it for a year, you prob. need to cut the flywheel now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts