SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy yall i was converted from buying a CRX a couple days ago and am now researching the SE-R and was wondering If you went with JWT ecu,header,cams,pop charger,high c/r pistons, and a good catback how much of a gain would that net?

Thanx

------------------
Remember when sex was safe and Skydiving was dangerous?

[This message has been edited by Viking (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Gain as far as HP? It all depends on the setup you're using. Tell us a bit more of what you're trying to accomplish, and let's see if we can help....

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
If you are going with your basic s3cam,hotshot header,jwt popcharger,ur pullies,exhaust combo you should be in the range of about 142-148 hp. add some 11:1 comp pistons at the same stock bore and you should be looking at about 160-165 hp to the wheels. If you add in some really wicked cams like the c3's you'll be in the range of about 170-180 to the wheels. It all depends on where you want your power. using different cam/header combos will give a little more midrange but sacrafice some power up top. This is a very* general answer so give us more of what you are looking for.

------------------
98 200SX SE-R, CAI, AEBS Header, Greedy Exhaust, JWT Motor Mounts, Pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters Flywheel, JWT Computer,Bored Airflow Meter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year CRX?
I have had 3. 1985/86/91 all Si's.
I sold two and got the SE-R.
My brother in law wants my 91.
On a rolling start it hangs in there for a while with the SE-R. I love it though. But nothing beats the stiffness and growling of a SR20DE. Both cars just have intakes.
I feel safer taking a corner with the SE-R then the CRX. Happy Hunting!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the hotshot better than the JWT header that is on there webpage?
As far what i want to accomplish i want a good stought daily driven all-motor car. also it has to have the reliablty so the wild cams are out i have heard stories of the piston and the valves getting together for a late night drink in the head and it put the car out of comision for long time. Now mind you this was on a Jun modded ITR that could hit 9grand with no probs.
can you guys recomend a good piston company?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Arghh, the Hotshot *IS* the JWT header. JWT just sells them. </font>
ok down boy its not like i knew, ****

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Arghh, the Hotshot *IS* the JWT header. JWT just sells them. </font>
yeah, go easy there, chief... like I said, ease off the crack...

Vik - I have 121000 on my car and it is a damn good, stout, strong, and ultra reliable daily driver.

Hotshot is the header to get... direct from them
JWT for cams, ecu
PRI for the cold air
A zillion choices for exhaust or catback

As far as our pistons and valves hookin' up, it's very rare. Many machinists and technicians have been quoted saying the SR20DE is bulletproof. That's right, our engine is virtually BULLETPROOF!! Cool, huh?

------------------
Jason N. -- '92 Black Classic
JWT ECU
JWT S3 Cams
Place Racing CAI
HS Gen 2 Header
2 1/2" Pipe in CAT's Place
GReddy Cat Back
NT555 Drag Radials on 2 stock 14x5.5s
Other handle and stop stuff...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jason92Classic:
yeah, go easy there, chief... like I said, ease off the crack...

Vik - I have 121000 on my car and it is a damn good, stout, strong, and ultra reliable daily driver.

Hotshot is the header to get... direct from them
JWT for cams, ecu
PRI for the cold air
A zillion choices for exhaust or catback

As far as our pistons and valves hookin' up, it's very rare. Many machinists and technicians have been quoted saying the SR20DE is bulletproof. That's right, our engine is virtually BULLETPROOF!! Cool, huh?
</font>
my brother has a 30-30 in the closet wanna try that out?

wow 121 grand have you had the motor rebuilt or felt the need to like after driving someone elses car that just had a rebuild done. Would it be a good idea to get mine rebuilt or even overbored for more NA power? how much does it cost to overbore a motor?
also i have been reading more and whats with this 5th gear pop out ****? is it common?

·
Registered
596 Posts
121,000 is not bad. There are some people on here who have many, many more miles on their motors in their daily drivers that serve as weekend track toys.

5th gear popout was a common problem on 91-92 se-r's only, I think. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If you are looking for an older model, ask if they've already had the problem fixed. Most 91's and 92's should have had the problem by now if they're going to have it at all.

It is basically just a case where the car will pop out of gear while driving in 5th.

I'm not sure who has overbored their motor. I can't think of anybody off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else can help with that question.

If the motor requires a rebuild, it would probably be cheaper just to get a used JDM motor. They can be had for $450 or so plus shipping. They have 10:1 compression instead of the USDM 9.5:1.

Hope this helps.

Tommy

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Indeed, what Tommy said.

Yeah, mine drives a million times better than the day I bought it. Of course, most of that is the modifications.

Others on the list would agree that the car does get "moody" at times but nothing a serious tune up won't fix. Mine is usually "tired" after a night of racing and what I usually have to do is clean the TB, wires, intake, and put an emory board to the plugs. This isn't EVERY time, mind you, but just when she's in a mood...

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tommy:
5th gear popout was a common problem on 91-92 se-r's only, I think. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong</font>
It affected the early SR20 cars ('91-'94), and its even happened in the later cars! See http://www.se-r-list.org/polls/fifth-poll-results-table.phtml .

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Registered
858 Posts
an overbore dosen't really cost too much as long as they're rebuilding it already. mine was bored .010 over and then I had 10;1 compression pistons put in back in 1994. just felt a little torquey. there's a limit to how much you can bore it over too something like .020 max I think.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Don't forget about the AEBS header. It give you a little more torque and top end than the hotshot.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
121,000 miles. HA! I laugh at you. Viking, my '93 has 149,000 miles, and goes drag racing 4 times a month, and autocrosses twice a month, year round. It takes a 80hp shot of nitrous at the dragstrip, as well.
The engine is stock, internally.

Having said that, you can all watch in amazement and tell me 'I told you so' as my SE-R grenades this weekend whilst 1/4 mile drag racing

It would only be poetic justice.

JK.... Viking, the SR20s are very durable engines. 100-200,000 miles is nothing to these engines, if taken care of properly. Yes, mine gets moody too. Right after a tough weekend of racing, just like Jason said.

The engine definitely has a soul, and character, I'm telling you...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey serprise, I agree with you this car does have its own character...And it seems to reflect the owner. When i'm mad, my car knows it and it sounds mad...Its pretty funny. All my friends think i'm nuts. But all you nissan owners must have experienced this for yourself, right?
Oh and what exactly do you do when your car feels moody?
thanks

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERprise In WV:
121,000 miles. HA! I laugh at you. Viking, my '93 has 149,000 miles, and goes drag racing 4 times a month, and autocrosses twice a month, year round. It takes a 80hp shot of nitrous at the dragstrip, as well.
The engine is stock, internally.

Having said that, you can all watch in amazement and tell me 'I told you so' as my SE-R grenades this weekend whilst 1/4 mile drag racing

It would only be poetic justice.

JK.... Viking, the SR20s are very durable engines. 100-200,000 miles is nothing to these engines, if taken care of properly. Yes, mine gets moody too. Right after a tough weekend of racing, just like Jason said.

The engine definitely has a soul, and character, I'm telling you...
</font>
Well, I FART in your general direction!!

Yeah, this is only my third personally owned car and 121000 miles doesn't feel bad at all compared to the other two (which were nissans also). The car still feels tight and the engine definitely tight.

The worst the engine felt was after I raced with VP racing fuel. That **** is the BOMB but it fouled my plugs. I was turning 9.70s on an 1/8th track all night on a bad clutch and no CAI. I threw the clutch later that night and my SE-R kinda sputtered home (by sputtering I mean that it drove fine except hesitation at low rpm). Once I cleaned everything like I mentioned earlier it ran terrific.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Does AEBS have a website?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
Don't forget about the AEBS header. It give you a little more torque and top end than the hotshot.</font>
------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header (Awaiting Arrival)
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

1 - 20 of 20 Posts