SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yes, it's true. Not that it stops anyone here though. You'll need to find a smog tech that will look at a DET and see a DE. AFAIK there's no problem getting a DET to pass emissions, it's the visual inspection you have to worry about.

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
and for what it is worth... it only takes about a day to make a DET a DE and if you really want boost that is what you might have to do..

that won't exactly work on those road block sorta emission tests (roadside tests?) that I heard the smog-nazi's employ...

take your chance =)
later

·
Registered
171 Posts
move.

here in Texas we can do all the DET swaps we want... we just gotta take it to a specific county that won't test emissions if we can't pass em...:D :D

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
or come and freeze your butt off here in MI but its worth not having emissions!

·
Registered
95 Posts
PNWser said:
and for what it is worth... it only takes about a day to make a DET a DE and if you really want boost that is what you might have to do..

that won't exactly work on those road block sorta emission tests (roadside tests?) that I heard the smog-nazi's employ...

take your chance =)
later
YEAH, What are Emmission tests??????JK We don't have those in MICHIGAN!!! HAA HAA HAA HAA HAA HAA... we can do whatever we want... (for now at least):D

~neeraj

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
I hate all of you! :D We have to get on that damn treadmill here and pass like three different tests. Its horrible, they're like the gestapo. And Im in Missouri! I can understand why California has tight regulations because there are millions and millions of people. But Missouri? Come on... Sorry to go on a rant, but....:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im never gonna move from south Cali even thogh we have all the emissions and smog tests. I mean come on, why can American Muscle Gas Guzzler cars pass but us imports can't? It sucks. All of us Californians should start a petition about making no smog or emissions tests. Whos with me?

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Yeah the DET is illegal in CA, but so is nearly every mod you can do to an SE-R. *any* modifcation is illegal unless it's CARB-certified, and most mods for our cars aren't.

So just like what you'd have to do even with just a couple bolt-ons, you have to find a smog place that will overlook the visual inspection, and just make sure your car can pass smog out the tailpipe, which it will in most cases if it's tuned up. Even the DET will pass CA smog out the tailpipe if it's in good condition.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
True, anything is illegal thats modded.

But it's just like those retarded "FBI WARNING" screens on rented videos. They say its illegal to record them but everyone does it and no one cares, just like alot of people get paid under the table at like restaurants and don't pay taxes. All illegal, but hard to prove and almost never enforced.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What if I were to use a regular SR20DE engine and found a CARB legal turbo, is that possible and street legal in Cali?

·
Registered
224 Posts
what kind of paper work would it take to swap a se-r engine where I currently have a 1.6 so that it is legal and registered and everything else?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Zak91SER said:
Yes. Jim Wolf Technology makes a CARB legal turbo kit for the SE-R.
is it out already? I talked to Ben about 2 months ago on this and he said it would not be avail. for a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts