SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of broken transmissions that is! It finally happened to me while boosting in 3rd gear. Felt like it popped out of gear and I instantly went UH OH! As I slowed down I could hear what happened, wasn't a pretty sound.

This was a cryoed gear set, welded case, with Shockproof Heavy. It lasted 8 months and about 30-40 1/4 mile passes. It let go running 10psi, which is about 250whp and 240wtq.

Luckily I have a spare G20 trans laying around, I guess I will find out what the different gear ratios do for 1/4 mile times. Anyone know if the gear stacks from a non-VLSD trans will drop into a VLSD case and work with the VLSD? Does anyone have a good how-to on taking the trans apart, guess I have to learn sometime.

·
s13 frankenstein
3,483 Posts
Just a word of advice on taking apart the case that i wish i knew when i first did it. Make sure u take the large snap ring off the top or else the case will not come apart. It took me forever to figure out why the hell the case wouldnt sepereate even though it was all unbolted.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
does this mostly happen to only b13's?

·
TT Tuning
1,977 Posts
im working on number 10...the case cracked so i put a new case on it.the sr20 trany is the easyest to work on.you cant put the non vlsd in the vlsd case the final drive gear is to big you need to take apart the gear stack. witch is a pain in the ass. look for a lsd gear set.alot easier.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
You guys need to figure out how to make a 2000-2001 SE SR20DE tranny work in your older cars. Mine held 350-400whp just fine for a long time. Never had a single problem with it.
Travis

·
master of nothing
2,231 Posts
danm. i am building a tranny right now for my se-r. welded case ,cryoed gears.I am using a se-r case with vlsd and g20 gear set

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SR20RACER said:
Dude you're killing me, I am getting ready to install a NEW tranny w/ cryo treated gears. You make me sad. :(
I'm not sure I beleive in the cryo hype anymore. My next gear set won't be treated, so I'll see how long this one lasts. The only positive note of today was that the trans is very easy to work on.

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
^^^^Are you trying to make me slit my wrists? Stop it already. :)

Is this your daily driver? I don't drive my car every day so if I can get it to last 8 months of daily driving that might equal 2 years of weekend driving.

·
The Boost Bear..Rawr!
3,055 Posts
Myproject - That shockproof looks like a Strawberry shake! Nasty. Did you have any problems getting your shaft assemblies out? Just curious. Take it easy man...3rd gear definately sucks.

Corey

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
HkSBlueBird4u said:
thats why i refuse to go turbo... rather try to kick out 200 on all motor. fuk that.
You can do the same damage to the tranny naturally aspirated, you know.

The SE-R Cup guys can tell you all about this...

·
Registered
588 Posts
man this makes me discouraged. and makes me want to go back to modding my honda =T cuz no tranny probs those trannsy cn take a beating n keep on lickin

1 - 20 of 39 Posts