SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I just scored some new stuff at the marine store. I got a 1000 gph 12v water pump, and the cool thing about this one is it takes less than 15 seconds to replace the motor in it as it just pops out. It cost me $38. It's hooked up now and runs great. I know it wont help me run the car any warmer being the 500gph ran to much coolant through but hey it'll never overheat now. I also scored a battery box for $8. After a lot of guys yelling at me here and on clubsi for having the battery on the floor with no box on it. The nx is getting ready, the exhaust is hooked back up its running ( alittle rough but still running) I dont know if the gas is bad in it as it has been there since november. But its stumbling a little untill its warm. But its running hard and I'm loving it. Its cleaned out now I need some dry ice hehe, and a sawzall.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
That sounds pretty sweet, have you found a way to regulate the flow? Start taking that tar out and cutting everything in site then post more pics!

-Josh

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive had a Rheastat on it inline for a while I can reduce the voltage all the way to .005 volts and cut the speed of the pump. the lowest I go is around 2 volts after its warmed up some and then as its warming up I run it between 1 volt and the full 4 and off manually adjusting it untill its settled in.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its about the same size really. I'll go take pics now.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jester said:
So did you just make a plate to block off where your water pump was?
nope the stock pump is still there in place.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
So when are you going to put in a good water temp gauge so we can see some actual numbers? ;)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Whats up with that plush mobile? When are you going to get rid of the hvac system? :)

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
sweeeet! love the hi-tech console :D

so, the motor pops right out? like as in it seperates from the impeller/pump housing, so you can replace the motor w/o having to drain the coolant?

(comic book guy voice) "best ghetto mod ever"

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah the motor and impeller are a single unit that snaps in place, It has an O-ring and a healthy layer of rtv to help seal it.but it has been leaking so far, I'm on my way to taking the heater core out and the fan stuff, I want to remove the T-stat again as the pump ran better in the summer.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you like how I piece hoses together and liberaly use rtv. hehe well they've been like that for a year and havent burst once. lol

·
"Pimping aint Easy"
517 Posts
what are you doing to this car? why are you putting the battery inside the passager side,? for weight reasons? why did oyu need this extra water pump.

what kind of project are you working on , i am very interested to know lol

:)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah the pulley is still there but no belt, the only belt is the crank to alternator and with UR pulleys I think it was a 4pk310 it's onlt 310mm long and it is a hard belt to find. I would NOT do this on a daily driver as that is the reason I bought my G20. So it really turned from a $38 dollar pump to a $5838 pump (yes I got the 99 G20 for $5800) It does not over heat, hell the needle hardly ever even climbs from C unless I'm stopped in traffic in summer. The car is my own ghettoneered creation it's only goal is to be fast I guess. I've been shooting for all motor 13's but I'm gonna boost it before I do that I guess. So I'll try for mid 12's on a t25 then. haha

·
"Pimping aint Easy"
517 Posts
it seems like a pretty neat project never the less

1 - 20 of 24 Posts