SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The timing belt in my 2000 Frontier V6 just went. It has 170,804K on the original timing belt! :biggthump Oh yeah! Yes, I said original. It's now getting replaced with the expectation that nothing is wrong with the valvetrain. (Darn interference motors).

I just didn't want to replace the timing belt because it's such a pain on that motor. I thought someone else might laugh at the mileage of the truck. I'm at least keeping good humor about it.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
My dad had 205k miles on his stock BELT, it is a 95 Nissan Pathfinder. But, the rest of the motor went to **** along with the belt melting down. We dropped a terrano motor in and he is good to go! They are crazy, especially when my dad was SUPPOSED to change it every 60k miles.

Brent

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pardon the ignorance, but what motor is the Terrano motor? If the motor did get messed up...here comes a new one.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My friend (FatboySE-R) Just bought a 2000 Xterra with a broken timing belt. It broke a right around 170000. We will be putting a replacement motor in it soon.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You guys are NUTS !!! Those VGs will destroy themselfs if the belt breaks ... I have seen all the valves bent to most of the valves broken off and stuck through the pistons .... VG's are the LAST engine I would let the T-Belt Go on .... Dang , on my 01 Frontier I am gona do it at 60K even though Nissan says 105K ... Not worth it to me to destroy an engine !!

Oh yea, and I have yet to see a VG with a broken T-Belt that didnt bend at least one valve , usualy 4 ..... I guess if it was at idle it may not bend ...mabie ...

·
Robusto
2,699 Posts
Peanuthead said:
I just didn't want to replace the timing belt because it's such a pain on that motor. I thought someone else might laugh at the mileage of the truck. I'm at least keeping good humor about it.

Replacing a timing belt is less of a pain in the motor then the timing belt snapping and causing a major pain in the motor.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, they are starting on things today and we will see.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
It has a VG30E just like the pathy. They are the same vehicle. Just get a 91-95 model and you will get everything you need. I got mine from Soko.

Brent

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who in the world sells those motors, and what do those vehicles look like? I have never heard of a Terrano before.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I googled it after I posted that. Calling Soko.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: The belt has been replaced and nothing has been bent. I belt just slipped by it not having anymore teeth on it. So in other words, the belt didn't break. :D I should be getting it back late today or tomorrow.

·
change isn't always good
479 Posts
Congrats on nothing being seriously wrong. I have a 97 pathfinder with 94k miles on it. I am going to start saving to do the timing belt. How much did it cost you? I don't want to take any chances so it will be replaced before nissan recommended change interval. I am already nervous with it being at 94k. Growing up all I ever heard of was to change the timing belt and water pump every 60k miles!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts