SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went out to the drag strip tonight. First pass, my highest time ever in this car, or any car. mid [email protected] with a blazing 60 ft. time of 3 seconds!! hehe... Next run..... and my car dies on the starting line. Get pushed back to a clear area, try to start her back up, but it won't fire up. So I sit there for 2 hours waiting for help to come. They bring me some tools, take the spark plug out to see if I blew a head gasket or something.. they are good. Pull any codes off the ECU, and I get "55." Call up my friend and he tells me that its an "EFI" problem but the fsm says its normal. Tells me to check the fuses, all ok inside the car. Go next to the battery, a fuse is missing where there should be one, so I put a new one in. Check the next one and its blown. "Engine Sys Control" or something like that. Put a new fuse in, and she starts back up.

My question, why the heck did the fuse blow!?!?! Sorry for the long post.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Call it the irony of the track gods. IIRC our own Ben Davis had a similar problem at the track in his 98....something with the fuses getting messed up from launching or something.

------------------
Jordan (Stormy)
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys (NI), KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
I had the same problem with my car....come when ever I would get on it and shift at a high rpm or launch the car pretty hard the car would just die..and then would not start back up. All because that same fuse kept blowing. After having my car towed back to my house I found that a couple of the wires on my plug on my MAF were slightly exposed..I found out that whenever I shifted or launched at a decent RPM the motor torqued enough to make the wires on the harness touch one of those skinny silver pipes by the brake fluid filler bottle. I guess over time this caused the wires to become exposed and short causing the fuse to blow...I just wrapped the wires in electrical tape and haven't had the problem since.

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (stock)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yup you are right. Usualy caused by the MAF getting grounded on the body. Make sure everything is tightened down. And possibly insulate things if they still move alot.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
YES EXACTLY. As soon as I put my pop charger on I chased this problem for a couple of weeks. The MAF wires were being busted up against the master cylinder lines. Rotate the MAF out of the way and cover up those wires and you should be fine.

Man, what a scary problem it was...

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAHA. You guys are awesome. I just put a POP charger in a few days ago. I'll fix this today. Though I never had this problem with my CAI! How I miss that..

·
Registered
429 Posts
hey cool, I think this is the problem I'm having, I put in a POP charger a few months ago and it's one of my engine control fuses next to my battery that keeps popping... I'm glad I used the search feature :-D

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Originally posted by Storm88000:
"Um.... yeah. You do realize this thread is well over a year old?"
Yeah! What were YOU thinking? Posting to a thread that is over a year old! :rolleyes: Jeesh, give the guy a break, he did use the search feature, he would have caught **** if he hadn't and now he's catching **** because he did? He's only expressing gratitude for the forum for crying out loud.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, I know it's over a year old, like the other guy said I'm saying thanks. And so some newbies can also see this little problem which seems to plague somebody every once in a while.

Jose...

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Try rotating the MAF, so the wires aren't close to the shock tower. That should help.

I'm glad to see the search function helped you.

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
the best remedy is to get at the root of the problem and install either ES Motor mounts inserts, JWT Solid Mounts or Place Racing mounts. prevents a lot of possible problems i.e Cracking tranny casing.

Tevs

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sunny said:
the best remedy is to get at the root of the problem and install either ES Motor mounts inserts, JWT Solid Mounts or Place Racing mounts. prevents a lot of possible problems i.e Cracking tranny casing.

Tevs
No, that's not the root of the problem, the problem is that the POP Charger is not secured properly so that it moves around. Even if I had solid mounts the pop charger and wires would move around. The proper solution would be to make a bracket for the pop charger so that it doesn't move (rotating the MAF so that the wires won't touch anything when it moves is a good idea also).

I just for now, wrapped it in electrical tape and rotated the MAF so that the wires wouldn't touch any metal when the POP charger moved. I actually did make a little something of a bracket, but the metal was thin and I realized it broke, I guess after it broke was when that happened.

But I agree, installing better motor mounts could help a bit with this problem (although not too much), but it does make a lot of other things much bettter. I already have ES inserts, I just haven't installed them yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts