SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I only really pulled off the oilpans, but you get the idea ;)

Ok, I pull off the lower oil pan, and find this:

Its full of metal shavings.

Then I take the upper oil pan off, and a mangled up nut falls out. Then I see the girdle has a nice big CRACK in it.

You can see the rod all twisted and broken in there.

Part of the rod wedged into the block, I tried to hammer it out, but its in there pretty good. Also, a bolt went right into the block. Pretty cool.

Basically this is what I "think" happened. The nuts came loose of the bearing cap, and all hell broke loose in there. This is the #4 rod. It came loose, and then just broke the hell out of everything until that piece of the bearing cap got wedged in between the block and the girdle and the motor wouldnt crank over any more.

I guess it could have been worse I guess. The rod didnt fly out of the front of the motor, so thats always a good thing. I'll take the whole thing apart eventually and see if I can still salvage the block.

Oh, and here's some more metal shavings :D

·
"Keep firing, Assholes!"
796 Posts
well, i guess if you're gonna blow up a motor you might as well go big!!! i will be pulling apart my old de soon, i don't expect it to look much different

·
WWJD
2,092 Posts
Mannnnnnnnnnn

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
A for effort, Serban. Most spectacular engine failure I've seen in quite some time.

Holy-freaking-smokes.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SERprise In WV said:
A for effort, Serban. Most spectacular engine failure I've seen in quite some time.

Holy-freaking-smokes.
Failure indeed...I'm still trying to figure out why this motor died a horrible death. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
WWJD
2,092 Posts
I think it suffered from lack of high BoOst!!!LOL

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Fast91SER said:
Failure indeed...I'm still trying to figure out why this motor died a horrible death. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I'm gonna guess it broke a rod bolt or spun a bearing and then broke a rod bolt. It always makes a mess :(

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yeah Three cylinder beast would be hot. SR15DET!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
ok...im new to engine failure due to breaking stuff. i know what an overheaded ga16 w/ cracked block is like. but this....this....what did it sound like when it went? how long before you knew **** went bad?

·
SR 20 Site newbie
215 Posts
I had the rod right through the front of the block on mine at 127mph raceing a
bike in the wet,I was in front at the time as we where going around a bend in the
road and the bloke on the bike got covered in oil and bit's of piston and rod.

As the piston came through the block the oil wen't up in flames and the hole car
was a ball of flames going down the road at over 100mph with no brakes as they
where covered in oil, It was quite a shock at the time so remember it's not just your
engine that you can loose it could be your life, I was lucky I got out unhurt I just lost
the car.

rob

1 - 20 of 48 Posts