SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I got your attention. My bro and I installed the C3 cams, springs and retainers and ECU the weekend before last. The install was w/o any problems.

The car revs like a mofo with the new cams and ECU. I rev to an indicated 8K on the tach w/o hitting the limiter yet.

Here are my impression of the cams and ECU

* Make sure that you get the cams, springs and retainers, and ECU as a TOTAL PACKAGE. W/O the ECU the idle will be extremely lumpy and you will not enjoy the benefits of the hihger revs. The ECU with the C2/C3 cams program makes the idle much smoother. the car now idles and on occasion fluctuates betwee 800 and 1200 rpm. Most of the time the idle is around 900 rpm. But it *does* fluctuate. But it is smooth and streetable.

* When the car is cold it hesitates way more than when it warms up. Get used to it.

* How do these cams compare to the S3s. My butt dyno tells me that I lost a bit of low end (2-3k) as compared to the S3s. Mid range is about the same. But above 5k it is all C3s. The car screams, no it wails up top. It is so loud it scares people

* The ECU for these cams has an idle stability program in it. I set my base timing to 25 degrees. Then when I tip the throttle, the timing falls back to around 13-15. JWT figured that the smoothest idle with these cams comes at 25 degrees. I agree. When I ran the cams w/o the ECU, the car idle like a bad V8. Very lumpy. It also hunts and hesitates at lower rpms. Bottom line, you need the JWT ECU with the C2/C3 program with these cams.

* If you have a 98 JWT sends you instructions on how to retrofit your car to work with the ECU. All the instructions work EXCEPT the damn rear O2 sensor. I keep getting a rear O2 sensor MIL light. JWT has not figured it out yet. So now I am waiting for them to trouble shoot the problem.

* I did some rolling acceleration tests in 5th gear from 40 and the car still pulls very well at half throttle. There is no need to down shift to make a pass even at this slow speed. That means that you are not losing much down low. But you do lose compared to the S3s.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

G

·
0 Posts
"...and they only costed me 2 million dollars!" lol, man if i had the money for that. but now im saving for that new intake manifold and s4's.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Wow, thats fantastic. Plus you can sell your S3 cams now and take a nice chunk out of the total C cam price.

I think I plan on doing so. Not just yet though. First I want a ride in someones car with the C cams, then I will decide

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a saying in Arabic "if you want to get drunk, you do not count your shots."

Same thing applies here. This is my track whore
You have to spend money on whores to get them to do what you want

I am not married, I have no kids, my gf is financially independent, so I got to spend my money somehow

As Mike Kojima once said "do you wanna go fast or do you wanna suck." Going fast NA costs money. I do not like FI. I do not think a custom built turbo car blongs on a road course. I personally have not seen one that does not detonate like a mofo on hot track days.

I have yet to see one of the turbo SR20DE on a road course and I am on a road course once a month. All I see are NA SR20DEs duking it out. Once I see a turbo SR20DE that takes the beating that I dish out to my car, then I will think about going turbo.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
.... Just wanted to know prices on the stuff. Thank you Storm.

Great reply, Naji. So helpful.
</font>
OK, OK...here are the prices

600 for springs/retainers (w/o taxes from courtesy Nissan)
612 for the cams, taxes+shipping included
649 for ECU (taxes+shipping included)
If you have a 98 you need a core ECU you can get one for about 150-200
If you want to tune the whore properly, then you need JWT sprockets for $140

We have a costly hobby, but I can live with that

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

G

·
0 Posts
good lord thats a lot of money, how bout you gimme the cams foe 15 cent?
god i loved that, i know it was chris rock but was it, "in living color" or "SNL" im alomst positive it was "in living color"

·
Registered
220 Posts
WOW! That's great nj1266. I was hoping to get some "C" cams in by the end of the year. What's the difference between C1, C2, or C3's? Was the installation hard? Love that quote from Mike K, and it's so true. Have you dynoed it yet?

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

Temporarily using a dry 50 shot nitrous system. Don't know if I should keep it.

http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERacer:
WOW! That's great nj1266. I was hoping to get some "C" cams in by the end of the year. What's the difference between C1, C2, or C3's? Was the installation hard? Love that quote from Mike K, and it's so true. Have you dynoed it yet?
</font>
C3 cams have the most top end and are the least streetable of the C series cams. C2s have more mid range and less top end than the C3s. And C1s will give you the most streetable ride and the least hp of the C series cams.

Installation takes some time. Two people should work on it. I will do a write-up and post all the relevant info.

No dyno chart yet, but I am working on it
I estimate about 165 whp and with dyno tuning I will gain about 4 more if I am lucky

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I have the same problem with the rear O2 light being on all the time. Since I got rid of the EGR tube since the Bluebird turbo manifold doesn't have a hole for it, JWT also "resistored-out" the EGR and that DID work, no EGR codes. But yea my service engine soon light has been on since November. Small price you have to pay for power

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Would these cams pass emissions testing?

I have the S4s, and they passed (with a bit of tweaking).

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
you sellin' those S3's????

O

------------------
4 door SE-R
Ultimate Sleeper
I love the CAI
I Got Money for a little more, suggestions needed
"heavy weight and still undisputed!"

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Now if we can get Naji to actualy post here like he did on clubsi

Good to hear the track whore is getting faster by the day. You got a good setup going, now i wish i was out on the west coast to be at all the track events with everyone at them

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CruznSER:
So what are your plans for the S3 cams?</font>
I worked out a trade with a SoCal list member for the S3s. They are already installed on his car and getting the bejesus revved out of them
. The S3 cams served me well. I put 8 two day track events on these puppies and they did not let me down once.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spnx:
Would these cams pass emissions testing?

I have the S4s, and they passed (with a bit of tweaking).
</font>
Rob Cadle was able to pass a CA rolling dyno test with the C2 cams. I want to try the same thing with the C3s. But with a MIL light on, I doubt they will pass
I am still waiting to hear from JWT about the O2 sensor problem
I hope they come up with a solution real soon. I really like having a full functioning diagnostic system on my car. That light gives you a lot more then emission info.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Great to hear the good news Naji. Soon, I will be getting my JWT head fixed and I want to drop the C3s in that head. I want 200whp NA. I think with the C3s, ported head, and short runner intake manifold, and maybe ITB's it's possible.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts