SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running a 1/4 mile time when I missed a 3-4 shift. (What a screw-up) My stock ECU somehow allowed a major over-rev condition, the engine shut down and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

I pulled the valve cover off and found 5 broken rocker arms. When I pulled the head, I was expecting to find major valve damage but was surprised to find nothing. I guess I was lucky.

Anyway, the cam was damaged from the broken rocker arms so I guess I'll be buying some JWT S3's tomorrow. What a bummer!!!

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Mike

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Yup, thats happened to a good bunch of SE-R owners. Even my best friend. Typical to miss the 3rd to 4th shift and hit 2nd instead. Usually the only thing that happens is a 1 to 5 broken rocker arms. They are easy to fix once you find the shims. That is the only difficult part.

The ECU cannot prevent the engine from hitting way over the rev-limit in that situation. It is like trying to stop a train with a bale of hay.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Yeah,
I had the same situation happen to me. I let a friend of mine drive my car. He redlined 3rd and went straight into 2nd. The rev's went past 9000rpm. And it sounded pretty good. But nothing broke. I guess I was lucky that day. But I remember mark breaking one at the se-r convention. He swapped it out in no time and was on the road back to the hotel in about 2 hours. It is not a big deal, but it does happen sometimes. Good luck

Mark
97 SR20 SE-R

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MarkSR20:
Yeah,
I had the same situation happen to me. I let a friend of mine drive my car. He redlined 3rd and went straight into 2nd. The rev's went past 9000rpm. And it sounded pretty good. But nothing broke. I guess I was lucky that day. Mark
97 SR20 SE-R
</font>

Ahh, PERFECT reason WHY no one drives my car but me, and if I do let someone drive it, they can't redline it or shift fast. To date only 1 of my friends has ever driven my car and I plan on keeping it that way. If it was an automatic I wouldn't care though.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm positive that I didn't hit 2nd gear. I just missed 4th and popped into neutral.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
You got lucky man, the same thing happened to me but i blew my motor. I missed the 3rd to 4th shift and instead went to 2nd. Same thing, a couple of broken rocker arms and a JWT s2 intake cam in 3 pieces. My friend was able to find all the shims and pieces, but when the head was off we found that the #2 piston chewed something and was caught on the wall. He thinks it was part of the valve on the top. Ah well!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
hey Jordan would that be me?? I got it up high but not too high on that stock ECU..punk

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER
http://photos.yahoo.com/nyceser

·
Registered
909 Posts
I can name at least 5-6 peop;e (including me) that I know personaly that has done the same thing. I am positive that you hit 2nd gear. I dont think you would do that much damage in neutral. I was alot more luckey. I only broke one rocker arm and did not mess up my cams. Luckey for me though was that I was at the SE-R National Convention and someone had spare rocker arm. (thats how often this happens) And also Mike Kojima was there to assist me in the replacement of the rocker arm. So dont feel bad because it happens to the best of us. Even me. Come to think of it that is the first and only time I ever made a mistake!

MarC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts