SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna go test drive one tommorow...Local dealer has four, two of them are spec's..The one i really like is black..I had my 97 parked next to it and i must say, though i like the slammed, mildly modified look of mine, the specV appears to be brimming with potential..A nice drop would do wonders for the look i think...As far as the QR, I have faith that Mr. Wolf and the rest of the aftermarket will do their part...Plus even though i really like my current car, the idea of owning a brand new car appeals to me alot...Anyone else in the same boat?? What are your thoughts/opinions on the performance and look of the specV...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i was a little disappointed after my test drive. but you're right, there is a lot of potential there. JWT needs to focus on the 98-01 SR20DE b4 they go off and start doing shiznit on the 02 SE-R!! i do love the way those seats and the shifter feel! makes me want to buy an aftermarket racing seat. my $.02.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Im pretty anxious to drive one tommorow....I think once the redline thing is addressed the car should be a beast... Let's also not forget Nissans claim to 10-20 hp being trapped in a restrictive exhaust...But then again, should we really take nissans word lately? Also, I think the lava seats with a black exterior look kick ass! Not ricey,Racy!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
wrx vs spec v

I say don't get either, save your money and get something really nice and rare. I have a wrx, while it is fast and perky and everything else it is supposed to be, too many people are getting them.

Keep your sentra old school style with the sr20s in them and save for a imported r32 or r33. Trust me the wait would be worth it.

Now if any one wants to buy my wrx and se-r:D so that i can get my skyline let me know. going price $29k for both.:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A REX would be cool but you cant argue the seR's price tag... Below 20K with options.. A subie would be what? 25,26 with options? Just a little too much..Plus insurance and turbos dont get along too well...I'd rather bolt on and maybe add a shot of kick ass gas to the QR25..and save the initial cost...

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
SE-R?

I test drove the SPEC V last week and I was not impressed at all. I am not saying that it is not a nice car. I liked it but I did not see all the hype in it that was mentioned in so many articles I read. The car does have alot of potential. I agree with VSPEC SER the car would look awesome with a drop and I bet it would run like a champ with mods. All I have to say that I don't feel that Nissan should have called it a SE-R. It is not a true SE-R to me with out the SR20. They should have named the car a SE Spec V. It does not deserve the R!:D

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
I know this is of the subject but you guys check out the new stillen altima at www.freshalloy.com im considering that car why by a new ser! get a det in your sentras, nx's , or whatever you have. who wants a car note:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
call me cleo

I say with in the next few years guys are going to be putting the uper scale QR engine in the specV from the altima. What are the dimensions of the base vs the 3.5 SE engine. If you were to put that puppy in the specV OMG:eek:

Just wait and see the 3.5 engine is going to become for the new specV owners what the DET engine became for us.

Daniel

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
1st off I agree with most of you... The car kicks ass. Reguardless of what people say putting it down, etc. It is a great ride and I do think it deserves the R whether it has the SR20DE or not. The thing of it is, its true to its heritage. Its a cheap pocket rocket that has potential. Same as the original SE-R. I don't think anything in its category is even close to it in performance/money wise, and like you guys said JWT will take care of Mr. Rev limiter, slap an intake and exhaust on and if what Nissan is stating is true I can see 14s with just I/E and a computer. We'll see, I think many who own the Spec V will agree that a short test drive does this car no glory. I myself will be getting one in the spring. Can't wait! Sorry for ranting :).:D

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
I NEVER THOUGHT OF A 3.5 IN THE NEW SER THAT WOULD BE A MONSTER. I GUESS IT CAN FIT CONSDERING THAT THE BASE ALTIMA HAS THE SPEC V ENGINE. DO THE RESEACH LETS GET THE HEAD START ON THE OTHER IMPORTS NOW!!!!!!! :D A JAP VR6:D NOW THATS A KILLER. NISSAN NEEDS TO RULE!!! THEY DO IN JAPAN

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Can u say,eh front heavy?LOL My god it would negate the neutral feeling of the spec V. You'd be flying but u'd be bouncing all around.

·
Registered
116 Posts
After logging 450 miles on my Spec V, I can say it is well deserving of the R. The original SE-R wasn't all about straight line speed, it could handle. And believe me the Spec V handles much better out of the box. It is really amazing. Hammering the throttle coming out of turns just launches the car around. There is plenty of power on tap, spinning the 17 in. wheels from the 1st to 2nd shift and even chirping 3rd. (I have only been to the redline once, still trying to take it easy) Also newer tests have seen it do a 7.0 second flat 0-60 *that is with a shift to 3rd!!* and run 15.3 in the 1/4 on a 200 mile car *i.e. not broken in*. I think with a good driver, with good tires, we could see 14's stock.

I'm more of a road racer and a drag racer and I really appreciate the handling. I have an NX with Shocktek and 400/300 springs, gutted, with cage, weighs 2490lbs. with me in it and I bet the Spec V would give it a run for the money at the track.

I'm convinced a 10-20 min. test drive does this car no justice.

Lee
91 NX2K #13 ITS
02 Spec V

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Re: call me cleo

Just wait and see the 3.5 engine is going to become for the new specV owners what the DET engine became for us.

I'll have to disagree with this statement. The 3.5 motor is likely to heavy. It may be good for drag cars but would push like a pig in the twisties.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I would say the VQ35 motor won't fit in the sentra. The QR fits tight enough. In the Altima, the QR fits with quite some space while the VQ barely fits in there. So unless you want to get adventurous with some sheetmetal and welding, I doubt the VQ will fit in the sentra. And not to mention it would only be good for drag racing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nissan sold out the SE-R's heritage

I like many of you waited excitedly for the new SE-R's arrival. Having bought my first 93 SE-R off the showroom floor and lived with "but it's only a Sentra!" from the masses for nearly a decade I could not wait to see what Nissan's reincarnation of the SE-R was going to be. In the beginning there were signs of doom. Early photos of 17" wheels, four doors, "that interior" yet I still held out hope and kept a open mind. I wanted to love this car. Well I've seen and driven both the SE-R and Spec V on extended test drives. I have rendered a personal verdict.

The new SE-R does not hold true to the original SE-R's spirit. The Classic 91-94 SE-R was simply a light-weight, plain Jane, econobox with an outrageous all aluminum 4-cylinder engine only available then in the high dollar infinity's. It had nearly perfect seats, an excellent suspension and a for it's time, excellent transmission. It's interior was simple and purposeful. You all know the rest. In short, it was understated, promised little but in the end it over-delivered and was far better than the sum of it's parts.

The new SE-R Spec V is a pig. It is heavy. The engine though torquey lacks the high revving high-jinks of the Classic. Torque is nice but if I wanted to have gobs of torque I'd buy a V-8 powered car. The interior tries to hard but doesn't get it right. The gauges would be out of place in a race car or any serious drivers car. Were the Classic was a Alpha male wolf in sheep's clothing the new SE-R is a female St. Bernard. Nissan sold out the SE-R's heritage to the "rice side" of the import scene. Looking good instead of being good, form over function. It's rare that the sequel is better than the original. that holds true here as well. Some might say it's just different. I agree, it is. And yet change isn't always bad. But, sadly in this case it is. And no one is more disappointed then I. Automotive history will always have a small entry for the Classic SE-R. I doubt the new generation will except to say it was a disappointment.

If you like the new SE-R's good for you. This is not a personal attack it's about the car. To each their own. It's your hard earned money, spend it the way you please. I'm not saying the SE-R's are bad cars, far from it. They are very good cars but very different from the original concept. As far as the aftermarket addressing the SE-R's weaknesses. I'm sure they will do their best, but it will never be as good a total sporting car as stock Classic. The best thing to do with the new SE-R's is put them on a diet! If you choose to buy one forgo the Mega-Stereo, Moonroof and side air-bags. It's a shame Nissan doesn't offer the performance goodies in the base SE-R without having to get all the heavy options. More proof they just didn't get it right. Maybe next year? Also, do yourself a favor test drive a V6 Altima at the same time. It's everything the Spec V is and more. And it doesn't pretend to be something it's not. Off course it's more coin but it's high on my personal list of potential new cars.

edit: spelling

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nissan sold out the SE-R's heritage

Double-Post

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not to start a flame war. But I really think you are wrong. I have had this discussion before on another list and I made the comparison between the Spec V and the classic and it really carries on the heritage. Let's begin shall we:

The Classic was based of the current model Sentra as is the Spec V. Body wise the Classic had a different bumper cover, wing and bigger tires as does the Spec V. The Classic was the best in it's class and price range, as is the Spec V (priced a Civic EX lately). The Classic offered more supportive seats as does the Spec V. The Classic had a close ratio 5 speed with VLSD, the Spec V up'ed the ante with a close ratio 6 speed and HLSD (100 times better then the VLSD, I own both). The Classic had a stiffer suspension with bigger swaybars then the base model, the Spec V has an even stiffer suspension then the classics along with bigger sway bars and handles much better then a stock classic (It definantly doesn't handle like a big car). They both come with powerful 4 cylinder engine, with more torque then most competitors (the torque is what made the classic stand out). They both come with quicker ratio steering racks then the base sentra and beefy leather steering wheels.

The Spec V is really track ready out of the box, they got the brakes right on this car unlike the Classic who's brakes were to small, although it did come with 4 wheel disc which was great for the time (at least the NX had the right idea). Allright the Spec V is heavier, but power windows, door locks, ac are standard in the base models now. Also Side Impact beams and so on are standard, plus the weight of 17 in rims and dual airbags.
The shifter which is kinda weird when you first use it get's better with time and allows for short, quick shifts. Also the transmission was designed for 240hp so it is much beefier then the classics.

Most of all both car's are extremely fun to drive and are really drivers cars. There is not one owner of a Spec V I know that has been dissapointed with their purchase.
The Spec V is quite deserving of the SE-R badge and mine will wear it proudly.

Lee
91 NX2K #13 ITS
02 Spec V (no ABS or SideAirbags)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I think strictly from a racing point of view the Spec-V will kick ass! It should tear the competition up in both autocross and road racing.

I don't see why people make such a huge deal out of what this car is or isn't or what heritage it's carrying on or not. It is a fact that this is one of the best performing cars in the price range. The only other car that come close in performance/dollar is the new WRX, and that's a great car too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
nx2kracer,

Congratulations! You've bought a very nice car. As long as it makes you happy that's all that matters.

I would agree the HLSD is excellent. I would think if Nisssan had the same technology available in 1991 at a reasonable production cost, they would have included it. As it is the VLSD on the classic was first-rate in it's day and still is better than most others on different makes available today.

As for the brakes on the Classic they were clearly above the standard of the time and are still excellent. With the addition of aftermarket pads and SS brake lines they will auto-cross all day with-out complaint. I disagree that the Spec V "handles" better. Though I would also admit "handling" is a very subjective term.

Nissan could have easily cut weight in the new SE-R. It would have just needed to follow form before function. Even BMW with it's 18" wheels on the M3 is guilty. Eliminating the 17" on the Spec V and going to 15" would have saved a significant amount of very important unsprung weight. Also make power windows and door locks an option, as well as the larger wheels on the "base" SE-R only.

I really do not understand why Nissan even bothered with two versions of the SE-R. They are both really homogeneous. I would have the "base" SE-R available with all the optional luxury goodies: Power Locks/Doors, Moonroof, High-Powered Stereo, 17" wheels and six speed. Standard: "Sport" suspension, five speed.

I would have made the Spec V the street-legal race car: Only options would be radio/CD, A/C and six-speed. That's all! Standard:HLSD, firm "race" suspension with adjustable coil-over suspension (if production allows, if not spring/strut), firm bushings, cloth interior with black on white gauges (real gauges), 15" alloy wheels with max performance tires, front and rear strut tower braces and a functional air-dam/spoiler if necessary.

Anyway, I'm obviously not going to change your mind (or Nissan's for that matter) and your not going to change mine. This kind of discussion serves those who have yet to form an opinion. They of course should drive one for as long as the sales drone can tolerate. I might also add it's been my experience that people who have just spent a relatively large some of money on any product are initially reluctant to be negative about that product, unless it's a flat out lemon. Pride and ego you know. I'm not implying you fall into that category since you clearly enjoy your purchase. And that's exactly the way it should be!

P.S. I'm curious. It took insurance companies a long time (some never did) to catch on to the fact that the Sentra SE-R was no ordinary Sentra. Have they got this figured out already for the new SE-Rs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts