SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys. im not sure if this is some kind of record for our fragile trannies. But i decided to switch out my 253k mile original tranny with no 5th gear popout with an 80k mile tranny. The tranny is still in very good shape. The gears are a little stiffer than normal but that was about it until my clutch disk decided it wanted to shatter a spring out and get lodged in between my pressure plate teeth so that i couldnt get the clutch to disengage all the way. the reason i replaced the tranny was because i got it for free from a friend that had a spare. but because i drove it for a couple days like that having to grind every gear in even when rev matching. and having to slam first in and sometimes shut off the car, put it in first then start the car and go.

So i decided that i was going to play it safe since i dont want to have to do another clutch job for a while or remove the tranny. so i went with the newer tranny. The old one is still in good condition too. Never had 5th gear popout. still very smooth but im playing it safe. not sure if i did any damage to the gears by driving it like that but im sure i did so thats why i decided to go with the newer one.

Oh well. ill be giving this tranny to my friend so we can take the case off of it and put it on a different tranny with a shattered case. oh well. it made it a long ways, 253k miles worth. I would say thats pretty good since the car has been raced its whole life, from autocross with the first owner, drag racing from the second and nothing but abuse from me the third owner. I guess the fact that the tranny hasnt seen anything but synthetic gear oil its whole life probably helped out alot.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
wow...I went to 2 track days and I knew mine needed replacing after "only" 160K

·
Registered
381 Posts
wow thats alot of miles w/o a 5th gear problem, im sure the synthetic oils helped out in its longevity(sp?). when my spring blew i drove one day grinding the gears and now sometimes its hard to put in gear and take out :(

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
beating hard on it keept it alive. i mean from the begining no pussy footing around

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah thats exactly what happened to mine. one of the springs shattered out and got lodged underneith the pressure plate teeth so i couldnt disengage the clutch all the way. i drove it grinding gears for 4 days. the gears are still pretty smooth though but i dont want to take any chances and i got a tranny for free so i said what the heck.

·
sellout
1,000 Posts
I blew a disc spring in my G20. I drove around for about 4 days like you did grinding gears and starting it in first gear. I'm sure it will be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts