SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was comin home for lunch down Legacy Rd at about 55mph and I saw this blue car in my rearview mirror coming up from behind. He was charging up pretty hard, trying to catch up to me, and when he passed me I sped up to 65mph tryin to pace him. Up ahead we catch a red light, WRX in the left lane, me in the right lane, and some old lady in an Lexus in the middle. I wasn't about to launch from the line and look like a moron unless I knew for damn sure he wanted to race. So when the light goes green i take off kinda fast with a quick slip of the clutch and hold 1st gear just in case. Sure enough the WRX is next to me gooseing his throttle taunting me. I said **** that and punched it because I wanted to see how I could hold up against this stock looking WRX. I think I got the initial jump on him, and his nose was a few feet behind my bumper holding there.. I wound out 1st gear, 2nd gear, and was nearing the top of 3rd gear. I glanced in my rearview mirror and could still see him right off the back of my bumper and he couldnt pull on me. :eek: As Im about to shift to 4th gear I noticed a Suburban up ahead who cut into my lane so I shut it down and watched as the WRX flies past me. :rolleyes:
Overall I was pretty happy with the way my car held the WRX off and I wonder what that middle aged man instigating a race with me was thinking afterwards :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, why the heck did they take it down? :confused: :(

·
Registered
487 Posts
The WRX has been dissapointing in terms of stock performance. I have the same fear for the new SE-R. Most new high hp cars coming out seem to be more hype and numbers than real performance...I hope I'm wrong.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I've raced two WRXs at the dragstrip (where you SHOULD race, boys), and have seen a slightly modded one go 8.99 in the 1/8th mile (I won) and saw another one run 15.1 in the 1/4 (I won again).

The car has tremendous potential. Nothing more.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Its aftermarket support is still in its infancy. I've been doing research on them. I plan to get one of them or the Lancer (when the EVO is released).

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've raced one from a stoplight.. he had gutted cats and exhaust.. needless to say he kicked my ass! :eek:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yeah, my buddy has a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS and he has an intake and exhaust. Well, I agree with Storm, not on my to get list anytime in the near future with a 10.7 1/8th mile. Granted its not the almighty WRX but still, 10.7? Come on that was an auto too! :rolleyes:

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
10.7s are pretty slow...i ran a 9.650 last time at carlsbad raceway, and that was with a 2.350 60' time...if i had been running 2.1-2.2 60' times, this time would have been around a 9.5 (only 5 runs, 4 of which were on 14 in wheels, makes it hard to figure out a launch)

i have raced a friend's WRX (no launch) and i pull on him in the upper gears, of course these cars do run low 14s out of the box, with a launch, where i cant compete with them.

i do like the car, good torque, styling is pretty cool, good handling and what looks like a blossoming aftermarket make it a good car to build on.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
with a perfect launch this wrx can do high 13 ,here in my country there are a lot of them ,one of my friends have a hevy modified wrx the did high 11 .9xx,.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know that if we raced off the line he woulda killed me with his AWD ability, but luckily we didnt take off till around 20mph

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
i wasnt racing on the "street"

the "street" i "raced" him on is in the middle of nowhere, i drive down this road all the time, pop per sq mile is somwhere around 2 people, plus driving down the entire length of the road, i encounter on average 0-1 cars on this road (takes 40 minutes to drive the length of it) the few people who live there have to use well water, generators and satellite tv for chrissake! and for some reason it is one the best maintained roads i have come across, lots of slow turns, and a few moderate speed ones, good long, visible straights, and plenty of elevation changes.

sorry if i offended anyone for "racing" on the "street", but i assure you, the only thing i risk killing out there is myself, maybe my buddy behind me, and a few squirrels and other critters. and my friend and i are well aware of the risks, so please dont conjure up any images of "The Fast and the Furious" when you think of my friends and i testing our cars in the middle of nowhere.

have you ever floored it in traffic? that pretty dangerous too, and cops can and will cite you for racing if you floor it on the street, my brother found this one out the hard way, floored it through 1st, didnt even bark 2nd and a cop pulled him over, and gave him a $10,000 fine (yes, $10,000) and impounded his car! he ended up with only speeding after hiring a lawyer. so please, dont tell people to stop racing on the street, i am sure everyone is guilty of it.

·
8,148 Posts
remember stock DSM's are kinda slow too. But a 2.5 to 3" and hard downpipe and intake with HKS 272's and the story changes a lot. A friggin lot.

·
Registered
596 Posts
HotshtSR20 said:

have you ever floored it in traffic? that pretty dangerous too, ..., i am sure everyone is guilty of it.
Why would anybody floor it in traffic? That's freaking dangerous!! I am sure not everyone is guilty of street racing or of flooring it in traffic. I am guilty because I have raced on the street once. It was really stupid even though I won by a wide margin that cannot be measured in mere car lengths and now have eternal bragging rights.

But I am sure not everyone is guilty of street racing.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im guilty as charged :( :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts