SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would check you timing, clean the TB and EGR systems, and your POP. I did this and picked up 10 hp from 1 run to the next. Before thecam swap, I was at 115hp, then before I changed it we did a baseline on the same day 125 hp!! The only changes were cleaning those mentioned before. See ya then.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Can I clean the filter myself or should I get another? If so, how should I clean it or where should I get a replacement?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto Zone sells cleaning kits for $10. I cleaned mine 3 times before I put it back on the car. I would clean it on a weekend if you can do without your car for one day. Clean it,let it dry, re-oil it and let it sit overnight. You might want to clean t a few times before you oil it if it's that dirty.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Cool atleast I wont be the only classic down there :) Hey Eric lets set my timing up a little maybe that weekend also. I figure its about time to bump it up I guess. Never use less that 89 mostly that all the time tho. might just check to make sure its on the high side of 15.

cleaning the erg stuff is pretty easy. i need to do mine again tho. gota get a new gasket for the egr valve first tho so i can take it off and clean it good. cleaning the tube is pretty easy just get a long piece of wire like out of your stereo system heavy guage like 8 or so i think dont remember just do like se-r.net says and spray the carb cleaner down the tube and push the wire down in there.

TB was pretty clean on mine and dont think its been cleaned before not sure tho. I know in a years span since I got my car it wasnt that dirty, so i dont think classics have a bad problem with dirty tb's but maybe mine was clean.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
...any pointers? I havent had my engine checked since any of my mods.

Mod list:

Dirty-as-hell JWT POP
HS 4-2-1 Header
NO Cat
GReddy Cat-Back
JWT ECU
Magnecor Wires
Shitty Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs
JWT S3 Cams
JWT PP, 10k old OEM disk
Old-as-hell transmission oil with grindy 2nd gear from f---ed up synchronizer (happened when I frappeed the clutch (that's pronounced "frapayed", it's a cool button on my blender!)) on the track last year

I plan on changing the tranny fluid to Redline, changing my oil and filter, changing my plugs to NGK Super Platinums, and putting my engine on the CONSULT machine. Anything else I should do?

Thanks.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Everything sounds good, but don't forget to set your alignment first. A bad alignment can cost a surprising amount of hp on the Dynojet.

Makes sense, when you think about it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts