SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone give me an overview of what it takes to change the rotors, pads, and blead the brakes? Unfortunately im without experience or a FSM. What the heck, i need to learn!

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Where the nearest dealer with a FSM is. If you have never done those before, get someone who has to help you. You don't want to learn what you don't do when it comes to brakes.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
If you're in critical need of new pads, Haynes will work just as well as the FSM to tell you how to change them. It has a lots of pictures, too. I got one to compliment my FSM because it's geared more towards shadetree mechanics, and it's only $15.

Brake pad jobs work pretty much the same on any car. For more SE-R-specific work, don't hesitate to get the FSM. It's as an important tool to have as a breaker bar or socket ratchet.

Pads are not hard to change, and removing a few more bolts lets you get the rotors off. Just have the minimum of tools on hand, follow the directions, and you won't monkey it up.

SE-R.net can help with the brake bleeding order.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Black93 said:
Could someone give me an overview of what it takes to change the rotors, pads, and blead the brakes? Unfortunately im without experience or a FSM. What the heck, i need to learn!
It's mad easy.

Take off the wheels, and use a nice long bar to get off the bolts and replace the pads. The rotors you may need to use a hammer to get off if they're seized. Never bled the brakes b4 but you need 2 people to do it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Storm is right its very easy...you need 17mm and 14mm sockets for the caliper and make sure you have a clamp to push back in the piston, the rotor comes out once the caliper is taken off. As for bleeding the brakes, its a good idea for 2 ppl just hope your bleeder screw is not seized. Make sure you dont step on the brakes w/o the caliper on otherwise the piston will pop out and youll definitely need to bleed the brakes. Good luck

·
8,148 Posts
SucKit said:
Storm is right its very easy...you need 17mm and 14mm sockets for the caliper and make sure you have a clamp to push back in the piston, the rotor comes out once the caliper is taken off. As for bleeding the brakes, its a good idea for 2 ppl just hope your bleeder screw is not seized. Make sure you dont step on the brakes w/o the caliper on otherwise the piston will pop out and youll definitely need to bleed the brakes. Good luck
yeah, what he said.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
D'oh careful, I have broken two of the bolts that hold my caliper on on two seprate occasions. :eek: Be aware that stuff like that can happen. It's better than paying $50 or whatever though, and you get some good satisfaction out of it too.

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so... what does a brake hardware kit consist of from courtesy? All the associated hardware? Ill bleed my brake tommorrow and if i respond youll know it went right :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
why would you need the brake hardware kit for? Pads and rotors thats it...the hardware kit is usually caliper pins, shims and some other stuff...at least that what i know it to be, thats useless to you unless you want to change it as well but you dont need it.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Black93 said:
so... what does a brake hardware kit consist of from courtesy? All the associated hardware? Ill bleed my brake tommorrow and if i respond youll know it went right :)

Probably shims and the metal clips that hold the brake pads on.

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the info. It is a real blessing to have such a following for se-r's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts