SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks back i put a post saying how i had a leaky flex pipe on my AEBS header. When Andeas and i took it to the muffler shop and they put it on the lift, i almost cried. There it was my AEBS header cracked in half at the merge collector. It was craced all the way around except about an 1" holding it together at the bottom. It started to crack from the top first. Very clean break too. The only scratch on the header was one from where they loaded it on to a tow truck. I figure in the process of dragging it onto the flatbed the header hit and created a small crack which progressivly got larger over time. And louder i might add. Anyway sorry for the long post, we did put the stock manifold back on till I can get my hands on a new Hotshot. I'm done with AEBS.

------------------
98 200SX SE-R, CAI, AEBS Header, Greedy Exhaust, JWT Motor Mounts, Pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters Flywheel, JWT Computer,Bored Airflow Meter.

G

·
0 Posts
Are you getting your $$ back? Does you car feel slower with the stock back on? Sorry to hear your bad news...

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Can't you get the muffler shop to weld it for now? It would be better than the stock one.

------------------
Place Racing CAI,JWT S4 cams and JWT ECU with S4 program, hotshot gen3 header, greddy SP exhaust, KYB AGX's and Ground Controls, Konig Traffiks with Nitto NT555's

·
0 Posts
We need to start a "cracked at the merge collector" group. Except with me it happened with my stock downpipe. =-( what a horrible sound I had to put up with!! I had no other choice then to sound like ass for two weeks.
Then ........P-a-c-e-s-e-t-t-e-r came to the rescue.

------------------
-

·
Registered
765 Posts
My stock one cracked too, you're right it sounds like big time ass. I got the local muffler shop to weld it up.. had to bring it back 3 times tho before they finaly got the job done right...

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, audio
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can definately get it welded, they have to cut it before and after the crack. Remove the ceramic coating, weld it from the indside and out. Then reweld where they cut it. After all that it should be fine. It's gonna cost me a whopping 60 bucks. But they'll need it for about a week. I'd have to drop it off on a Sat and pick it up next week with my conflicting work schedule. I just don't want to do that PIA install again.

------------------
98 200SX SE-R, CAI, AEBS Header, Greedy Exhaust, JWT Motor Mounts, Pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters Flywheel, JWT Computer,Bored Airflow Meter.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Hmm, we need a new company to make headers. The hotshot's leak and the flex pipes go, and the AEBS's seem to crack. What's a power hungrey SR20 owner to do?

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Stillen makes a nice little 4-1. I have it and have had no problems. Nice little power gain and excellent finish..I now lots of people have had problems with Stillen the company itself, but it is another option for *POWER HUNGRY SR20DE OWNERS* he,he,he

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (w/ a lil sumptin sumptin) photo viewable thanks to Chrissy!

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Doug how did you crack the header though because Andre told me you hit something. And didn't you say that the AEBS was better than the Hotshot. Anyways my Hotshot 4gen has never given me any problems at all and it never came with any gaskets. It so far it has been the best mod for the money. It is also produces more power than the Stealin.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a leaking flex pipe on my brand new Hotshot. It's been leaking since I drove it right after it was installed. This is after I was sent a Header that wasn't even welded properly. I will never buy another product from Hotshot again. They'll be getting ANOTHER call from me next week, since they no longer respond to E-mails, like they used to.

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

·
Registered
858 Posts
stealin ceramic coated 4-1 still going strong 2 years no rust/leaks.
very nice quality imho.
------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

[This message has been edited by redman007 (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
VVL - Very Very Loud™
11,741 Posts
this has come up so many times, i hear of HS headers cracking, and leaking, stillen ones doing the same, and now the AEBS. is it me, or is pacesetter (the underdog of headers) the only one that people have no problems with?

i have had my pacesetter headers for about a year and a half, and the only problem i have is they look all rusty, but other than that, nothing, no cracks, no leaks, and brand new, they cost a third of the price of the HS.

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
http://www.geocities.com/serban91r

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fast91SER:
this has come up so many times, i hear of HS headers cracking, and leaking, stillen ones doing the same, and now the AEBS. is it me, or is pacesetter (the underdog of headers) the only one that people have no problems with?

i have had my pacesetter headers for about a year and a half, and the only problem i have is they look all rusty, but other than that, nothing, no cracks, no leaks, and brand new, they cost a third of the price of the HS.

</font>
No AEBS problems here. Other than it hangs low.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, Courtesy Exhaust, and Pretty looking pedals and shift knob

·
Registered
513 Posts
Exactly what does your car sound like when you have this prob? Everyone keeps telling me I have a leak in my exhaust cuz my car sounds kinda buzzy and what not. But, I can't figure out where the leak is. It seems like it's more toward the front of the car. I'm hoping the flexpipe. Then, I'll have an excuse to front for a header.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fast91SER:

</font>
Pacesetter shall be victorious!!!
Im waiting for mine to collapse on itself, but so far so good!!! No cricket noise either. chirp chirp!!!

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah Rick, I did say that it was better. The reason being is that it made more torque from 4k-6.5k than the hotsot. The hotshot beat it in peak power by 1 hp and that was from 6.5-7k. Granted by these #'s it would outperform the AEBS up top from 7k-8k too. But you spend more of your time in the lower power band, especially when the car starts getting faster like 3rd,4th,5th. You get planted in the AEBS powerband for a longer period of time. This is why it seems to outperform the hotsot in different areas. Now, on the flipside of the coin. I don't feel like pulling down the crossmember, fans, ac compressor, egr tube, all off again to do an install. The hotshot is much quieter. And I would like to try the Gen 4 cause in talking Jim or John spangler at the event a couple of weeks ago, his new merge collector (which is basically the only difference betweent the gen 3 and 4) seems to really work. This is what he has told me. I was very pleased with the Gen 3 and I am sure i won't be disappointed by the new one. Especially since it's got that pretty branding now on the header.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Doug I wish you the best of luck and you won't be disappointed. We need to meet up and head out. Oh by the way I threw a rocker arm the other day and Dre helped me changed it. I will be ordering cams next week probably S4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts