SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering. There is so much talk about weight of wheels that you guys have. What is the ideal weight for the wheels with tires mounted and has air also. I am just wondering because I weighed my wheels with tires mounted on it, with air. They are 17". They weigh about 40lbs per wheel/tire/air. Is that good?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tommy:
Wow, that is about the same as 2 of my 15" wheels.
</font>
You're saying that your 15" wheel/tire combo only weighs 20lbs? Dude... What lightweight wheel do you have, and how much did it cost?!?

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
596 Posts
Okay, you caught me....I was exaggerating. But my Rota Circuit 8's are pretty light.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I'll back Tommy up on that one. I have Rota Sub Zeros, which weigh a feathery 12 pounds each. Don't have tire weights.

25-28 pounds each isn't too far off, probably.

I do know this: One of my old 15" steel five-spokes (with no tire) weighed more than my current Rota/Bridgestone combo.

40 lbs per wheel tire is heavy, I must admit. I noticed a huge difference in transition-type maneuvers with the lighter wheel/tire combo.

JMHO.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
25-28lbs is more in the believable range... But still really light!

Hmm... Those Bridgestone RE71's I have must be really heavy... Same goes for those Kumho Victoracers. I have Power Racing VS-04 wheels in a 15x6.5, and they weigh around 12lbs as well... But with the Bridgestones, they weigh around 34lbs... and heavier with the Kumho's (not sure how much heavier, but they feel heavier)!

--Andrew Phan

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Andrew;

I was using my highly sophisticated biceps weight guesstimator on that one. I, too, have RE-71s

I'll have to plop one on the $5 Wal-Mart scale I bought to weigh my nitrous bottle when filling it, next time I get a wheel/tire off the car.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
MY TE-37 in 15X7 weigh 9.2lbs each. My Kosei K-1s weigh around 12lbs each.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
163 hp, 124 lb-ft torque
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well you know, you guys keep saying something about the wheel weight. I just want to let you all know that tires are kinda heavy too. The tires that are normal weigh around 20 lbs. 15 " . I have read this article on Turbo magazine. They weighed a 14" honda civic wheels with tires and air and it was 29.5 lbs. these are the ones you put hubcaps onl. They weighed some 17" rims with tires and it weighed 39 lbs. They dynoed the car . (HONDA CIVIC DX) and it lost about 5-7 hp . Do you really think it is worth paying thousands for dollars just to lose about 5-8 lbs per wheel?
There is a website stating how heave the wide range of tires are. http://integra.vtec.net/wheels/wwd.htm
You guys can also go to KUMHO, DUNLOP, PIRELLI corporate websites and look at the numbers in LBS on tire weights. You would be surprised.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I didn't spend "thousands of dollars" just to lose a few pounds. I paid $425 shipped for my 4 15x6.5 Rotas. Hardly a fortune. Worth every penny, IMHO.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i guess for 15 but have you ever seen some 13lbs for 17? the only one i see is some Racing Hart CP-035 and they are about 400 a piece. I don't really like to go smaller coz my car would be on the ground plus I am show and go not just go. If you know what I am saying.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Well, reducing wheel weight not only helps acceleration but braking and handling too. I would think it helps handling the most as it allows the suspension to better react to the road.

Khieim

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well, I just went back and checked my shipping info from when I got my wheels. For 4 Rota Circuit 8's with Pirelli P700's, the weight was 124lbs. That comes out to 31lbs a wheel assuming that the covers used for shipping weighed nothing. I guess that's not too bad. I'm pretty happy with that weight. And I paid $500 shipped, so I'm pretty happy about that too. :D

I bet the Kosei K-1's in 17" or Rota SubZeros or Circuit 8's in 17" are also pretty light. Dswtflip4u, when I got my Kosei K-1's, Tire Rack had the 17" wheels for sale for $159 each. I don't know if they are still that price, but if you like the design at all, you might consider it. I think you might save a little weight from your current setup if you decided you wanted to do that.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Well since I like the looks of big wheels I sacrificed the extra 5-6 hp. I read that the stock se-r wheels weigh about 15 lbs. My 18's only weigh 17lbs. Not too bad if you ask me.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Speed Star Racing (SSR) Integral GT1's. They run $399 each new, but I think tirerack.com has them on sale for a little less now.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
according to my bathroom scale, my 17X7.5 K1s weigh in at ~14 lbs each, and cost me $115 each, wheel/tire combo mounted, balanced and taxed was $812. hardly a fortune for wheels, hell, most people spend around $400 for tires every time anyway, mine were bald so i upgraded. whoever is giving you these prices for wheels is ripping you off!!

i also sold my B14 wheels for $300 with bald ass tires, so total end cost was $512, only $112 over buying new average tires!!

oh yeah, i have 215-40ZR17 Kum-Ho's on there.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
also, as far as accleration is concerned, there is more to consider than weight. my 1/4 times dropped .3 sec by switching to 14 in wheels that weighed more than my 17s! and my 60' times were within .002 of each other!

the 17s screwed up my gearing. they did gain me .5mph in my trap speed though, so the taller gearing and lighter weight probably helped there

1 - 20 of 25 Posts