SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the cars idle is very rough, but smooths out when i give it a lil gas. i have the idle screw turned all the way up. would a new cap and rotor help? i just replaced the motor and put new oem plugs and wires in. i am going to replace them this weekend but i am still concerned why i have such a shitty idle.

TIA

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just by going what you put down, I would look for vacuum leaks to start off. Recheck the grounds on the intake too.

Edit: my reply is if the idle is still rough, after the tune up etc...

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i did new ome plugs and wires, dealership never called me back so i had to get some aftermarket cap and rotor... my oem one cap was cracked near the screw.. it idles may 10% better, but now i hear a rattle under the valve cover... I THINK it is the timing chain tentioner? can u guys school me on how to tell one is good/bad? it doesnt make the noise all the time, just for a few seconds. and at load or when u take the rpm's up(from idle,not driving thou) it also goes away... so is it harmful to drive it like this? i just got her back, i really dont wanna take it to another garage(i did find a better one thou). maybe i can do the work myself? any input TIA!!!

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
???............

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
zipstrips said:
i hear a rattle under the valve cover... I THINK it is the timing chain tentioner? can u guys school me on how to tell one is good/bad? it doesnt make the noise all the time, just for a few seconds. and at load or when u take the rpm's up(from idle,not driving thou) it also goes away

When the timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced you should only hear ratting/clatter when starting the car.

If you hear a rattle under the valve cover your engine might have a major problem, unless something unimportant is just rattling (and when you take the RPMS up higher it cancels the vibrations) Does it feel slower?

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Storm88000 said:
When the timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced you should only hear ratting/clatter when starting the car.

If you hear a rattle under the valve cover your engine might have a major problem, unless something unimportant is just rattling (and when you take the RPMS up higher it cancels the vibrations) Does it feel slower?
it feels really powerful sometimes than its kinda deleyed with power. i ordered a new tensioner, have to wait till tueday to get it. until than i am trying not to take the car unless its a must.

anyone experience trouble with pacesetters headder? my bolts snapped from engine movement!? i though i just broke the paper gasget but no.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts