SR20 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a gtir engine and hooked up all the vacum,fuel,electrical stuff and put oil in the engine and started it just to see and it idle funny up & down & up & down. is this normal, I don't have the down pipe hooked on, and radiator is not hooked up either if it shouldn't run like this what should I do (adjust the timing?) smells like it runs a little rich to. Thanks Jason

------------------
1991 NX2000 W/SR20DET SWAP,HKS INTAKE,3" EXHUAST,E.S. BUSHINGS AND MOUNTS.

NX 1600 INTAKE,AND EXHUAST

G

·
I put in a gtir engine and hooked up all the vacum,fuel,electrical stuff and put oil in the engine and started it just to see and it idle funny up & down & up & down.

***Welcome to the wonderful world of 4 throttle bodies! I had the same problem with my car. The idle would oscillate up and own from 1000 to 1500 RPM and then bacl down again.

This means that the engine is getting too much air at idle and the ECU is cutting fuelto slow the idle. So, the idle slows and then resumes normal operation. The idle then goes up again and the ECU cuts fuel again.

It is an endless, annoying cycle. First, make sure the TPS is set correctly. With the key in the "ON" position, but not running, probe the middle wire with the positive end of a voltmeter. Ground the black probe of the meter. You will need a sewing needle or a test light (something sharp) to pierce the middle wire.

With the throttle closed, you should set the TPS to 0.45 to 0.55V. The voltage should be around 4.0-4.20 V at WOT.

Make sure the AAC valve, FICD solenoid, and air regulator are all hooked up. If this does solve your problem, then you either have a vacuum leak or you are getting too much air into the engine around the throttle plates. You will need to "synch" the throttle plates like on a carbureted car to get it right. On the GTi-R throttle bodies near the head flange, there are 4 vacuum ports that are capped off with rubber caps and 4 adjustment screws. You will need to runthe engine and hook up a synhcronizing tool to all 4 ports at the same time to get it right.

Motorcycle shops normally have these tools.

Good luck,

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

G

·
Also, set the base timing to 15 degrees BTDC with the JWT ECU and 20 degrees BTDC with the GTi-R ECU.

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

1 - 3 of 3 Posts