SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
last week i sprayed some carby cleaner into the throttle body and ever since I hooked it back up again it now idles at 1500 rpm.

How would i reset it?

lance

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I'm afraid thats a common problem with cleaning the TB on SE-R's. I had the same problem on my '91 when I cleaned the TB. You can adjust the idle, and also disconnect the battery overnight.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at
Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
please forgive my ignorance mike...

i printed out out that link for the ser-net page and disconnected the tps like is says to do but i dont know where the idle adjustment screw is located. i looked all around there with my limited mechanical knowledge but i wasn't able to find it. what does it look like?

lance

G

·
0 Posts
Lance-Go to the passenger side of the engine compartment, and look right behind the oil filter-There should be a small metal box(i'm not looking at my car, I'm trying to do thids from memory, so bear with me)with a white Phillip's head plastic bolt sticking out of it, sticking straight up(I think it's a 1/2" bolt). That's the idle adjust screw. I think it's counterclockwise to adjust the idle down. BTW, There is also a chance you gummed up your O2 sensor and/or your Catalytic converter just spraying cleaner into the TB and trying to run it through! I tried the same thing when I first bought my Classic in Aug., andf I had to replace the O2 sensor, because it was gummed up with the "burnoff' from the "junk' from the TB. Mind you, this might not have happened in your case, but If you experience driveability problems, that might be the problem. While you're at it, go to SE-R.net and go to the EGR cleaning procedure, it did wonders for my ride! Good Luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris_thanks for the info!

Drivability seems fine. I've often thought about replacing the oxygen sensor as a mechanic friend says its running rich (by looking at the exhaust tip, dunno?).

thanks i'll give that a try!

lance

G

·
0 Posts
Glad to be of assistance! Good luck with the O2-It's definitely soemthing you should look into-It helps restore driveability in many cases for cars with over 100k on them(that's miles, not kilometers, Mate!

·
Registered
858 Posts
counter clockwise to increase idle and clock wise to decrease. after disconecting tps.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts