SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, dont laught at me, but i need help. My car has been stalling out at idle, so I check ser.net, and get the idea to adjust my idle, clean the throttle body, and while I'm down there, I decide to change the air filter and spark plugs as well. Ait filter goes in just fine (I may be an idiot, but I'm not retarded. Next, I go to change the spark plugs, and am very confused as to why they are buried waaaaay down in those little holes. Am I missing something? How am I supposed to get those out? Anyways, I decide to worry about it later and move on to the idle. I have a picture of the little screw I'm supposed to turn in my haynes manual, but alas, the screw is nowhere to be found underneath the hood of my car. And clean the throttle body??!! I read the tutorials on ser.net, but still have no clue! Anyone who might be able to help me out on ANY of these problems, please do. thanks in advance.

Danny

p.s. I do beleive I have a very good knowledge of cars and how they work, it's just that this is a far cry from my old car, a 1972 Plymouth Scamp. I could do anything to that car. All these wires throw me off. thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just be VERY careful when putting the plugs back in. the last thing you want to do is strip the head. That is fairly easy to do with an aluminum head. Don't make me tell you the story of the guy who's spark plug change turned into an engine rebuild!

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
earth to white92ser
earth to white92ser

.....over.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
also, make sure you coat the threads of the spark plug lightly with anti-seize compound

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silversx:
also, make sure you coat the threads of the spark plug lightly with anti-seize compound

</font>
yes, that is very important!!
and you better be putting NGK's up in there!!

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Spark plugs:

Get a 5/8" spark plug socket (I think it's a 5/8"). When you go to buy your NGKs, take one out of the box and size it to the right socket to be sure. Please don't try anything other than NGK. We've been there, done that and NGK is the best for the SR20. Trust us. And like silversx said, use some antiseize compound on the threads. Also, you'll need a ratchet extension to get in there.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NEVERMIND...............

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-02-2001).]

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94_REDSE-R:
NEVERMIND...............

</font>
Hey, sorry, after I got the car running i went out for the day, just got home. I've got the spark plug socket, I just need the extender. I couldnt seem to find any anti-lock stuff for the plugs though, thats ok, i wont put them in until i get some. Thanks

Danny

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, fixed the idle. I went to check the ground on my MAF. Turns out it wasnt connected at all.
Anyways, the car runs fine, but the question about my sparkplugs is still standing. How in the world do I get to those things?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HEH HEH HEH!
Bro, those plugs are way down there due to the DOHC. You need to go to a car parts store and pick up a spark plug socket with a rubber gasket in it. Im not sure on the size. Mine is at home. You will also need an extension to stick on your ratchet. The rubber gasket makes the plugs stick to it and they lift right out. To get them back in just shove a plug in the spark plug socket and screw away.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope you're with me here.
Im a spark plug champion!!
Hit me up on e-mail if you want at:

[email protected]

DONT USE MY HOTMAIL E-MAIL, im not at home.

LETS DO THIS!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts