SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gently Making Enemies
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm so sick of problems with this car.

the cars now detonating low in the band, from 1000-2000 rpms. timing is set at 17. i run 89 octane w/10% ethanol. switched to 87 w/out ethanol, to see if it would help, no difference. i plan on switching back to 89 or even trying 93.

it really only seems to do it now since its gotten warmer out. and it really detonates when the motor is super hot (like, sitting in a long highway traffic jam, long drives, etc.). any ideas? my intake is pretty dirty.

·
i love b13's !
8,012 Posts
yeah run 93 octane, if it still detonates make sure you are at 17' degree's timing also maybe change the plugs to a colder plug...

stratton.

·
slamed150
1,380 Posts
why would u even run anything other than the highest grade u can get..its not worth a motor.

·
Endless Turbo Preparation
952 Posts
i'll switch gas, but stock timing is 15 + - 2. so 17 is achievable even stock, and the manual says 87 is the minimum required.

it's detonating even on 89. seems wierd to me.
I've always heard that if you're running 17* that you should run 89, but I think Josh set my timing to 17* and I haven't had any problems with 87.

I hate to question the setting of timing, but it's possible the timing was set incorrectly. Or maybe what you believe to be detonation is something else?? Maybe related to the clutch?? IDK, just throwing some stuff out there. Because it's weird to me that if your timing was set at 22* before and you weren't getting any detonation...why is it that when your timing was set much lower are you now getting detonation??

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wonder if you have a lot of carbon buildup in your engine and you're getting predetination because of that.

Here's your homework: go to AutoZone and get some Sea Foam. Also get stuff to do an oil change. Go home. Pour 1/2 bottle of seafoam in your crankcase. Also, put a bunch in your PCV valves and throttle body. Get a toothbrush and clean your throttle body...pour a lot of SeaFoam in there. Start the car and let it run. Blip the throttle and rev it a bunch. A lot of smoke will come out of the tailpipe. Pour the rest of the Sea Foam in the gas tank.

Do an oil change. Fill ur gas tank up with 93.
Take it for a spin and burn off that smoke. See how it performs then. If you want help with this, come find me and we'll tune your car a bit to try to get that to stop.

-steve
636-675-0458

·
like a stray puppy
2,163 Posts
I hear sea foam is miracle stuff I'd definitely would try that too!

·
out with neck injury :-(
1,231 Posts
You'd be surprised how much that SeaFoam will do for mileage, throttle response, etc.! Definitely worth the $15 at AutoZone!

Carbon buildup on pistons creates hot spots, causing gas to pre-ignite. Boo for power!

///h

·
Her 1st track day in 2017
2,105 Posts
I hate to question the setting of timing, but it's possible the timing was set incorrectly.
Don't blame me: click

We get that "summer blend" fuel crap, and with the recent jump in price I still wonder if the 2 are related. I had some pinging in my G yesterday with the AC on - I'm not Oliver Stone, but I think there is a conspiracy brewing. :squint:

I might have to try SeaFoam in my G since it is finally "broken in" @ 203k miles. :D

Nathan, I say try the SeaFoam as a guinea pig and let us know if it fixes it.

Josh

·
952 Posts
Check out this thread first:

http://www.sr20forum.com/general-sr20/11706-sea-foam.html

Some people have had problems w/the o2 sensor and spark plugs after using it. I don't think I'd use more than 1/2 a bottle to be on the safe side. IDK, draw your own conclusions from that post. There is also a link to a Honda forum related to Sea Foam in that thread. Sea Foam seems to work well for many people.

-G

·
Gently Making Enemies
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well today at work, i swapped out my ngk iridium bkr6e-11 or some ****, with some used ngk bkr5e with a wider gap, that looked ok. i know that its a hotter range but the gap was a lot diff. so i wanted to try it out. i also went and got a bottle of octane booster because it was freakin me out.

this was all at lunch at work

drive home seemed better. seemed to have more power. no detonation, until after about 40 mins of driving. then not as much as before. a lot better. i only used the booster because i still have half a tank of gas.

i dont blame you at all josh. the timing i think is set perfectly at 17. we are just getting some pee watered down gas.

i think i'll go get some ngk bkr7's. some seafoam. and run the piss out of it.

too bad its raining now..... damnit.

thanks for the replies guys. later.

·
Gently Making Enemies
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have half a tank of junk ass 87 piss, with some octane boost. should i go get some 93, fill it up, take it easy on it until next tank. . OR run it out of this crap, taking it easy on it until i can get some 93 in there...

·
952 Posts
i have half a tank of junk ass 87 piss, with some octane boost. should i go get some 93, fill it up, take it easy on it until next tank. . OR run it out of this crap, taking it easy on it until i can get some 93 in there...
Well, you also have to make a choice whether you want to pay $.20 extra per gallon at the pump for 91/93 octane. If you are going to start doing that, I'd bump the timing up to 19* for more performance otherwise I'd say it's not worth it.

Have you experienced detonation in the past?? I'm still not understanding how you can go from 22* timing and have no detonation on 87 octane and go to 17* timing and then all of a sudden start detonation. It could be said, that your knock sensor was saving you from detonation at 22* timing, but if that's true why isn't it working now?? If I was you, I'd lower your timing down to 15* and try that out.

From my own personal experience w/my SR20, however, my timing is at 17* and doesn't have detonation on 87 octane. All cars are different though I guess.

You may want to try that Sea Foam. The build up of carbon deposits could be increasing your compression to the point that you're having detonation.

GL

-G

·
Her 1st track day in 2017
2,105 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess and say that your car doesn't detonate until next week. I base this on that it was 91* when it occurred on Monday, and it was the middle of August when you posted before. So it seems to be related to the temperature, and it is supposed to be pretty nice for the next couple days.

You could always fill up your tank with 91/93 now, and I don't think it will be an issue mixing with the octane boost.

Josh

·
Gently Making Enemies
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[Have you experienced detonation in the past?? I'm still not understanding how you can go from 22* timing and have no detonation on 87 octane and go to 17* timing and then all of a sudden start detonation./QUOTE]

i have had detonation in the past, but only very minor, also heat related. i have never run 87. always 89 with the 10% ethanol blend. i just tried 87 to see how necessary better gas would be, or if ethanol was making it run shittier.

I'm going to venture a guess and say that your car doesn't detonate until next week. I base this on that it was 91* when it occurred on Monday, and it was the middle of August when you posted before. So it seems to be related to the temperature, and it is supposed to be pretty nice for the next couple days.

You could always fill up your tank with 91/93 now, and I don't think it will be an issue mixing with the octane boost.

Josh
it is deff temperature related, because today it was cool and i didnt hear any detonation. but i plan on running this tank dry and going straight to some 93. then seeing if its gone.

i saw some seafoam the other day at napa. maybe a good idea just to try.

thanks for all the help and replies fellas. i appreciate it.

·
952 Posts
GL, let us know what you discover.

-G

·
Gently Making Enemies
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
today at work on lunch i put in some other spark plugs i had. ngk iridium greddy style temp range 7. i gapped them to .043 inches. it is a lot cooler outside (65*). no detonation on the way home !!!! yes...

when i got back into town i had about 1/4 tank of the crap gas left, so i decided to fill it up with 93. i put in 8.655 gallons.

i'll see if i have any detonation tommorrow. i'm gonna run the piss out of it.

seafoam might be happening this weekend. thanks again fellas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts