SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like it says, i'm gettin new tires. is it hard to mount tires yourslef? mounting is putting the tire on the rim, right? anyway, after mounting them what else needs to be done besides alignment?

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
If they're low profile mounting them by hand would suck. If you're talking about a lot of sidewall, yeah, you could do it with 3 prybars or really large screwdrivers. I've never hand balanced a tire, using those goofy old school balancing kits that JC Whitney sells. If your rims are nice though, you'll probably garf them up trying to do it by hand. On a machine, a guy can use rags to keep the machine off the rim and set the upper arm just hovering over the lip so it doesn't touch. I did tires for a couple years and I'd never try to mount a tire by hand at home unless it was a shitty old steel rim and I wasn't going to have it balanced. Not to mention, I have a brother in law that's a mechanic and his shop is mostly a tire shop so I can get these things done by him.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
They spin the new tire on the rim on a machine and it tells them where to put lead weights to balance the tire. Since tires are not perfect, they don't have the same mass at all areas, and if you don't balance your tires, you'll find out when you get on the interstate and your steering wheel is shaking like crazy. Not to mention, unbalanced tires put wear on other areas of your car. Most places offer mounting of tires as part of the cost of the tires. Balancing is usually $10 a tire more and they usually offer rebalancing every so many miles as part of that. As the tire wears, the mass changes again and the tire will go out of balance. Mounting would probably cost at least $10 a tire if you brought in a set of tires you didn't buy there. If you haven't bought the tires yet and you're not looking to get new rims, look in the paper ads to see if anyone is running any deals on tires that are the same size as what you have. If you don't do a lot of racing or spirited driving, I'd get a nice set of all weather tires put on. Something with a decent treadwear rating and decent traction and temperature ratings.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
ChrisNX2000 said:
like it says, i'm gettin new tires. is it hard to mount tires yourslef? mounting is putting the tire on the rim, right? anyway, after mounting them what else needs to be done besides alignment?
You are going to get real aggravated trying to do it yourself.
Your best bet "to save money" would be to find one of those cheap TIRE SHOPS around town. I get my tires mounted and balanced for $4 each at this HOLE IN THE WALL place called "JABOS". LOL. Its a dirty old place but they do a good job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts