SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quote from NismoNX2000:
Awesome first gen crx?? I didnt realize it was legal in the 48 contigous states to put those words on the same paper, let alone the same sentence together for that car.

I know this is a Nissan site and all but a stock 85 CRX Si will eat up a stock SE-R, no matter what year. Maybe not in top end but I can GUARANTEE the little 1.5 92hp, 1800lb, half-car Honda will do damage in Solo's and in the 1/8 mile. I GUARANTEE the SE-R wont pull till above 80mph. Till then its side by side fun.
Yes I am a loyal First GEN Rexer.

--Too bad I traded mine in.

I love you REX whereever you are!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
what is the 0-60 and 1/4 on the 1st gens?

I know a sec. gen si is pretty damn quick. even if it only has 108hp. light and geared well.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
it's only 1800 lbs....who cares? it's still pushing 19.5 lbs per 1 hp. that's a little over a pound more than a stock SE-R!

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stiletto:
it's only 1800 lbs....who cares? it's still pushing 19.5 lbs per 1 hp. that's a little over a pound more than a stock SE-R!
</font>

Not to mention the fact that with 91 HP, you're going to have serious problems overcoming wind resistance at anything over 60-70 mph. Remember, Acceleration = (Net Force)/Mass. I'm sure the SE-R guys can relate to the evil existence of wind resistance - just get a bunch of acceleration charts from various stock cars (Car and Driver is a good source), and you'll see that the SE-R can outrun some cars by a decent margin up to about 90-100 mph or so, but then the SE-R isn't too quick after that point...

I can honestly see an SE-R walking away from a first Generation CRX Si without any problem towards the very top of second gear. If the CRX is in the high 7/low-mid 8-second 0-60 mph range (I'm being generous, as all of the times that I've seen times in the high eight second range), that's how it will most likely happen (0-60 races within ~1 second are typically fairly close, at least from my experience at the drag strip.) If the SE-R can't pull from the CRX, then that SE-R has serious operational issues. If you honestly think any of the above is not true, I'm not going to start an argument, because I really don't care that much, hehe.

No disrespect to the CRX - I'm just trying to be realistic. Next thing 'ya know, stock '91-'94 Sentra SE-Rs will be hanging with the RSX Type-S, new Altima 3.5 SE, etc.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
You have to be kidding. I walk on civic SI's and you're saying a CRX that doesn't have 100 hp is going to beat me? nice try.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If you're comparing a stock SE-R to a stock 1st gen CRX, the SE-R wins hands down in ANY CONTEST OF SPEED!
The CRX does have the advantage in less weight, lower drag coefficient, and a suspension that doesn't lack suspension travel.

Don't get me wrong... I love CRX's, especially the EF chassis (2nd gen.) I got my ass handed to me by an SCCA ITA-prepped CRX at the Streets of Willow Springs road course last month. Sure, I may have had a 30+hp advantage on him, but my car had a 5-600lb weight disadvantage, and so he was able to carry more speed through the corners, not to mention that car IS a race car with a very experienced driver to boot.

But when it gets down to it, the Sentra SE-R is hands-down faster than both the 1st and 2nd gen CRX when subject to the same modifications (e.g. SCCA IT-compliance.) Otherwise, the SCCA wouldn't have placed the Sentra SE-R and NX2000 in ITS, which is the fastest Improved Touring class. The 2nd gen. CRX is placed in ITA (2nd fastest class) and the 1st gen. CRX in ITC (slowest IT class.)

I will give credit to both CRX's for Solo2, though. Those cars can be made really fast in C-Street Prepared. Both the SE-R and NX were in the same class until this year, when it was moved down to DSP. Stock to stock, though, the SE-R still has the upper hand. SCCA places the SE-R and NX in E-Stock (used to be in D-Stock with the 2nd Gen CRX) with the 1st gen. CRX in H-Stock (slowest stock category.)

If I had to choose between those 4 cars (SE-R, NX, 1st CRX, 2nd CRX) to build a race car, and I had to keep the original engine (no hybrids) then I'll take the NX2000. But if I were to build a race car, and I was to do an engine swap of some sorts, I'll take either CRX over the SE-R/NX any day.

I chose not to bring up drag racing, because I'm not a big fan of it (would like to try it some day, though) and given enough money and no restriction of any kind (e.g. class rules) either of the cars can be made VERY fast!

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (SCCA ITS race car in the making)
1998 200SX SE-R (slow street car)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
If you're comparing a stock SE-R to a stock 1st gen CRX, the SE-R wins hands down in ANY CONTEST OF SPEED!
The CRX does have the advantage in less weight, lower drag coefficient, and a suspension that doesn't lack suspension travel.

</font>
Hey somebodys listening........ alright.

The Si and SE-R can hold their own but the 1st GEN CRX is and was an awesome car.
You guys are not reading my post. I didnt say the CRX will destroy the SE-R by any means. But it will damn sure give it a good fight. And you dont have to worry about idle probs/egr or 5th gear pop-out.

oh, by the way ,97 Super Black 200sx SE-R, this isnt stock now is it:
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
You have to be kidding. I walk on civic SI's and you're saying a CRX that doesn't have 100 hp is going to beat me? nice try.

</font>
read much?
try reading again pal!!

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well having driven a mildly modded 86 quite a bit I say its pretty damn fun. I swear to like 40 or so it feels exactly like my classic in the pull and times. My friend bought Eric's Sister's 86. Its been dynoed with putting 90hp to the wheels at the time with an exhaust and some portmatching by eric on the intake. Calum and I built an AEM exact CAI for it, even tho the stock intake with lower box resinator removed is pretty straight. Then we pulled off the AC and that really pepped up the motor more. Ok that 12 valve starts to sound thrashy beyond 5k or so but its not that bad to drive. I would really like to have one to play with myself. With a good driver Id bet it would be a close race off the line to about 40 or so. After that the crx just kinda lets off. But Ill say this, shes darty at highway speeds, merging and lane changes at 65+ is fun and not hard.

If you think an se-r is fun, get in a 1st gen...both put big grins on my face. I may talk Calum into some fun on Devil's Backbone sometime soon. Swaping cars and going back the other way will have to be done tho
...see if anyone can keep up with me, and I dont go more than 10mph over the speedlimits back there. Yet no one that follows me can keep up in the corners. May try to see how the first gen stacks up at spirited backroads in the middle of no where.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is such a Bull ****. Read Motor Trend issue Aug 91 performance review.
91 NX2000 0-60 = 7.7 sec 1/4 mile = 16.0sec
88 CRX si 0-60 = 8.9 sec 1/4 mile = 16.7sec

Friend of mine has an 85 CRX and I smoke him with my wives 99 Mazda Protege 1.8L. He's got a header and a ported head as well and his best time at the track was a flat 17 sec.

Fast my ass.....no disrespect, but it's not fast by far.

Just my opinion

Frank

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stiletto:
</font>

·
Registered
178 Posts
In reading the ad: An impressive 91 hp? Impressive I guess compared to an 59hp civic. My how times have changed. If you really want a fun tiny little 80's car, go for the MR2. 20 more HP, rear drive, super low and Waaaaay fun. (and not a honda, btw). For 80's smalltime racers, MR2 would be my vote as the fun car. And besides, you wouldn't be driving a Honda.. Just kidding, to each his own.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
in a straight line that car is ok but with a bit of work, on a solo II (autoX) course those things are prety damn quick....

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
i agree, the 1st gen MR2's would be AWESOME.

and that ~170hp supercharged version... oh yeah!!!
</font>
It was actually 140hp. (At least the USDM version was.)

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
My car will destroy all of your cars in ANY CONTEST OF SPEED

98 SE-R, http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi
Place Racing Cold Air Intake, Hotshot Headers with Swain Technology Coating, PaceSetter Short Throw Shifter, Unorthodox Racing Ultra SS Pulleys, Custom
Cat-Back Exhaust, Quaife Limited Slip Differential, ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate
with Street Clutch,Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts, JWT ECU with C2/C3
Program, JWT C-Series Racing Cams, JWT Cam Springs and Titanium Retainers,
JWT Cam Sprockets, Front and Rear STBs, True Choice Phase IV Competition
Suspension System, Suspension Techniques Sway Bars, Energy Suspension Control
Arm Bushings, Volk TE-37 15X7 Rims Wrapped With Toyo RA-1 205/50 Tires,
Stock Rims Wrapped With Bridgestone Potenza RE-71 205/50/ Tires, AD22VF
Brake Upgrade, Porterfiled R4S Street Pads, Carbotech Hawk Blue Race Pads, Woodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Motul 600 Brake Fluid, Corbeau Targa RS Racing Seat, Weight Reduction, Autopower Rollcage, Autopower Five Point Racing Harness.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [email protected]:
That is such a Bull ****. Read Motor Trend issue Aug 91 performance review.
91 NX2000 0-60 = 7.7 sec 1/4 mile = 16.0sec
88 CRX si 0-60 = 8.9 sec 1/4 mile = 16.7sec

Friend of mine has an 85 CRX and I smoke him with my wives 99 Mazda Protege 1.8L. He's got a header and a ported head as well and his best time at the track was a flat 17 sec.

Fast my ass.....no disrespect, but it's not fast by far.

Just my opinion

Frank

</font>
He must have a HF, or something.
An Si with all those mods will smoke that Protege'.

Much love to all my SR20DE peoples, but Im just telling it how it was with MY experience. I had both the 85 and 86 Si's as well as a 91. The 85 was a monster compared to the 91.
Im not trying to score any points or trying to make beleivers out of everyone but I was able to take any 140hp car off the line.
Integra LS, SE-R, Tiburon, Neon, Corolla GT-S, Proteges, Eclipse RS/GS. It sounds crazy I know. All I had done to it was a filter bolted right on the throttle body and A/C Delco Rapid Fire plugs, stripped of everything including dash, battery relocated behind passengerside seat, and I would put a whole bottle of 104+ Outlaw Octane boost to my 1/4 tank before the races. Everynight at the races I would make a name for myself. It was crazy!! I even had 180,000 miles on the clock. And one time I even saw a 1st Gen CRX with 50 shot Nitrous eat up a Prelude. TWICE!!!!
--- the redline for these cars was 6500 but could be raised to 7000 with a 87 Teg ECU.
---Im not trying brag gentlemen, im just telling it how it was with my old Blue Rex.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
My car will destroy all of your cars in ANY CONTEST OF SPEED

98 SE-R, http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi
Place Racing Cold Air Intake, Hotshot Headers with Swain Technology Coating, PaceSetter Short Throw Shifter, Unorthodox Racing Ultra SS Pulleys, Custom
Cat-Back Exhaust, Quaife Limited Slip Differential, ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate
with Street Clutch,Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts, JWT ECU with C2/C3
Program, JWT C-Series Racing Cams, JWT Cam Springs and Titanium Retainers,
JWT Cam Sprockets, Front and Rear STBs, True Choice Phase IV Competition
Suspension System, Suspension Techniques Sway Bars, Energy Suspension Control
Arm Bushings, Volk TE-37 15X7 Rims Wrapped With Toyo RA-1 205/50 Tires,
Stock Rims Wrapped With Bridgestone Potenza RE-71 205/50/ Tires, AD22VF
Brake Upgrade, Porterfiled R4S Street Pads, Carbotech Hawk Blue Race Pads, Woodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Motul 600 Brake Fluid, Corbeau Targa RS Racing Seat, Weight Reduction, Autopower Rollcage, Autopower Five Point Racing Harness.
</font>
Holy sh*t!! Is that your post or your sig?
ha ha. Damn!! Excellent web-site by the way!!
Love the website!!!

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Just to correct you, the 1st gen. CRX's are ITC cars,</font>
There's CRXs and CRX Sis. I'm almost 100% positive that the 1st gen Sis are ITA. I am absolutely 100% positive the CRX I was chasing as Summit Point was an early Si and ran in ITA, at least in the SARRC (south atlantic road racing championship). It was not, however, fully IT preped. His motor was not IT built and he did not have any limited slip.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">AutoX is for Wusses.</font>
I'm sorry you feel that way. These are some of the best drivers you'll ever see. It has without a doubt made me a far better driver than I ever hoped to be if I had never heard of Solo 2. Autocrossers also make better track drivers (once you learn to slow the hands down) because we are more proficient at driving the car in quick transitions. This helps in times of crisis management (avoiding a spun car or pulling out of a near spin). I often see racers come to autocrosses just so they can get their hand speed back to what it used to be.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

1 - 20 of 40 Posts