SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SR Turbo-lovers,

I soon may join your ranks...I'm thinking of dropping in a BB DET to replace my slowly-dying engine (low oil pressure and metal chunks in the oil pan
).

I've priced it out from Chris at SR20 Dev and we had a good conversation. Basically, if I do this, I'll be going with the DET, IC relo kit, and 2.5" DP. I'm not sure if I should get the TTZ fuel pump as I plan to keep the boost stock until I get a cool boost controller (my stock fuel pump is less than 30K miles old). I have some parts from my NA/NOS application that I was wondering if I could use on the DET.

S3 cams - I know they'll make power, but how much more? Anyone have a dyno run from stock DET cams to S3 (or even S4) cams? If the gains are less than 10-15 hp, then I'll consider selling them to save up for a bigger turbo.

ZEX lightened flywheel - This thing has been sitting in my room for a few months now, but how effective will this thing be on a DET? Anyone run a lightened flywheel with the turbo motor?

Thanks for the input guys...

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
a slow [email protected] on JWT 50 shot
Bay Area, CA

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
You probably don't need a different fuel pump if you're running stock boost. I don't think it becomes an issue till you're over 250 HP. I don't know how much difference S3 cams will make. I have a JUN ultralight flywheel on my turbo SE-R, I really like it.

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Zak...I'll make sure to swap flywheels if I do the swap.

The S3s I'm going back and forth on...tough decision.

Mel - just call up sr20 dev and talk to him, he's really easy to talk to and he'll help you reach your power goals. 619-69-TURBO

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

G

·
0 Posts
How are you planning in registering the car in CA? I thought we couldn't pass a smog check with that engine..

·
Registered
220 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doug H:
How are you planning in registering the car in CA? I thought we couldn't pass a smog check with that engine.. </font>
I'm quite sure (but not positive) that a SR20DET could pass the sniffer test, using gas additives and a cat, but the visual won't pass. Just go to a ghetto smog check station and put a shiny green bill on the valve cover. I'm sure you'll pass then.
Well, that's how I'm planning on passing.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
STOCK

BB SR20DET Coming...
http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doug H:
How are you planning in registering the car in CA? I thought we couldn't pass a smog check with that engine.. </font>
Hehehe...I have a loophole that I'll try to use for as long as I can. The car is actually registered in Chicago, IL (where I'm originally from). So, no annoying CA smog checks for me.

However, I have heard of SR20DETs passing out the pipe on CA's strict smog test. I'm not sure what they were using for fuel mgmt, but I'll be using a JWT ECU, so I'm sure I'll be fine.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I don't remember who it was, but it was a T3/TO4E setup I believe that a guy gained 50hp or go going from stock cams to S3s. A stock BB DET would be somewhere between the normal NA gain and that turbo gain. It should be more than 10-15hp for a turbo car from just that one data point. I'd plan on the S3s, but if you don't have the cash upfront, wait til later.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE stock, slow, and for sale
93 NX2000 Quaife ATB diff, JWT clutch, SMC short shifter, front STB, front ES control arm bushings, JWT POP charger, B14 SE-R wheels as soon as I get my tire swappin' done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts