SR20 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
To go the other way, how can one register a Canadian car in the US? Evidently it's possible, as I've seen some cars in Detroit with MI plates that were obviously originally Canadian cars (e.g. 4-door B13 with regular seat belts, etc.) This question is academic for me - I'm just curious. Well, there is my longtime Hyundai Pony fetish too...;)

Couldn't you get TVRs there not too long ago?

David

·
Registered
87 Posts
I imported a Toyota Echo Hatchback from Canada earlier this year (Vitz in Japan and Gran Turismo :rolleyes: ). I believe Canadian requirements are generally stricter, so EPA certification is not a problem for most cars. Toyota Canada has a rule that a vehicle that is not registered in Canada for 6 months cannot be exported, but I'm not sure about other manufacturers. Other than that, it was a painless process. Had to pay $200 broker fee, $300 duty, and U.S. taxes. The hardest part was driving it across the border with dealer plates and waiting in the truck lane for an hour and a half. If you go through a broker, it's a pretty simple process.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a European Nissan Primera P11-144 in Ontario.....

·
Registered
496 Posts
Are Mexican Tsurus legally importable? While they're not exactly the same as USA/Canada cars, they do lack the deal-killer crap belts, so it seems perhaps more likely that y'all could bring them in. Perhaps unfer the 15-year rule if nothing else.

David

·
Registered
66 Posts
pertuzian said:
Are Mexican Tsurus legally importable? While they're not exactly the same as USA/Canada cars, they do lack the deal-killer crap belts, so it seems perhaps more likely that y'all could bring them in. Perhaps unfer the 15-year rule if nothing else.

David
nope. in canada the car is legal if it was sold in Canada or the US. if it was from anywhere other than that, you have to wait until its 15yrs old.

of course, its the De-registration documents from Mexico that tell Canada customs what year it is. you could bribe the mexican guys to deregister it as a 1990. a victimless crime :D

·
My sister is JDM, I'm JTM
298 Posts
I know that sometimes a few of the illegal car slip through the cracks. Most of the time it is when they are brand new and the law is to slow to catch the early ones. I know of one Lancer EVO that was registered before it was illegal. I think others may make it due to people who don't know any better. Take a person that buys a SE-R and only thinks of it as a Sentra, border people who think it's a Sentra and insurance people who think its a Sentra (long shot but you never know).

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When they check the VIN at the border, the party is over.

I think the best way to do it would be if someone came over the border with the car and never returned. I am not sure if they keep a database of what license plates come over the border, or if the start asking questions when a car crosses but does not go back.

Another way would be to import a classic as a 'parts car'.

In both situations you would have to buy a GA16 powered Sentra and swap the VINs onto the classic, then the classic would 'become' the sentra you initially had (would have to be a 2 door Sentra). Of course this is illegal.

·
No comment
1,096 Posts
Actually, I think that SE-R's might fall under the "older than 15 years" rule and may be exempt from the RIV list of unadmissable vehicles.

·
Parting out my car
1,062 Posts
yeah se-r classics on the banned imports list. Its 15 years since manufacture date not listed car age, so I would be looking at that...I think its part of the VIN (check FSM for how to decode)...so it may have already been a couple years that we'd 'a been able to get them here.

:) looking forward to seeing se-r's cruising down the highway

D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dude, instead of all the hassle, just save your money and time, by purchasing a B13 from Canada and throwing in a sr20de, and a custom sunroof, and order the ser kit online, if you reallllly want the old school ser.

I would just get the canadian SE B13, the only differance to me in the ser and the one's we have here is the Ga engine VS the ser's sr20, and the sunroof.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Import the SE-R

I imported an 1992 Sentra SE-R into Canada last year. The car was built in 1991 and fell under the 15 year exemption. Any car made in the USA or Canada that is older than 15 years can be imported even if it is on some other restricted list, such as the B13 two door model.

To import and license the car cost me less than $300.

·
nissan movements!
44 Posts
i as well have a 92 se-r here i wouldve posted about it on my previous thread about my search for an se-r but it may have expired somewhere but oh well thx to everyone that has given me pretty tempting offers if i havent replied to you sorry about that but im glad i waited for my classic ill post pics maybe in the spring once i really start working on it.

·
nissan movements!
44 Posts
i got the se-r as a registered ontario vehicle and i checked out the history report. apparently the previous owner before my seller is a japanese guy and it claims that it was previously registered back in new jersey. what im a bit confused about is if the se-r was part of the inadmissable list with only the 15 year exemption, then how was it possible that this person registered the vehicle on 01/08/02 (Aug. 2, 2001)?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought the SE-R with some track type modifications made to it already. The most obvious modification was the AutoPower roll cage. The car came with the usual wheels and tires, special shocks and springs, intake and exhaust. Nothing too serious but very nicely done. The body and frame have no rust or damage. Some slight scuffs and some few "dings" on the body, but otherwise looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. I bought the car in North Carolina with about 100,000 miles on the odometer.

I am in the process of completely changing the engine, suspension and transmission.
Mods include:

SR20VE engine
SR16VE camshafts
Fidanza Flywheel
UR pulleys
Caluum ECU
Custom Intake and throttle body
Fujitsubo header
Greddy MSS
Place Racing solid motor mounts

Ground Control with AGX struts and shocks
Compete bushing replacement
Ground Control camber plates
ShigSpeed rear mounts
brake upgrade (stainless lines, drilled rotors etc)
Wedsport 10.7 lb wheels
Falken tires

B15 transmission and associated parts
B&M short shifter
Momo wheel

I will post pictures as the build progresses. The car is already a great deal of fun to drive, but I think it will be very quick after the modifications and something of a "sleeper" and as such, even more fun.

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Just a little hint.

A NX2000 Seat belt will bolt into an SER the actual bolt mountoing points are there Just check behind the pillar plastic

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just a little hint.

A NX2000 Seat belt will bolt into an SER the actual bolt mountoing points are there Just check behind the pillar plastic
That doesn't help you when they run the VIN and deem the car inadmissable.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts