SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the starter squeal here is another noise which is far more annoying to me. Why not a nice chime instead of the most horrid and truly embarassing buzz I have ever heard in my life. Every passenger makes a comment and i feel confirmation that i drive the most econo compact ever. Who has dealt with this and how do i put the dying beast out of its misery.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Take off the rubber cover that protects the switch and then disable it!

No more sound, and then party on!

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies and a matching child car seat!
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Just find a wrecked 200sx and get the little chime thats behind the instrument cluster. Its a direct swap in to the 91-94 buzzer. I know because I got tired one day and took mine out and put in the 200sx one.. it's alot lighter than the old one too. And I get a nice beep beeeep instead of the raped cat noise.

Luis Molina
93 Classic 236k+

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
The buzzer is behind the speedo on the '91 and '92 cars, and behind the tach on the '93+ cars.

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I pulled a wiring harness off this box 2X2 1/2 inch. It was located right below the steering column. NOT behind the speedo. Actually i went ahead and took the black box out. It says time control unit on it. Buzzer dead, car runs and all accessories work. Yes clock works. Am I cool? Was that it?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Nope, that was something else you disconnected. The buzzer is a white or yellow(depending on its age) box about the size of a relay.

·
Registered
723 Posts
my uncle had a 85 200sx and it had a cool voice warning: "door is open, door is open, door is open..."

and, you can opt to shut it off

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well what i did gave me the desired result. The car ran better than ever on the way to work. Cruise still works too. I don't get it??!! I carry the box in the car just in case i need to plug it back in. If you guys are killing the switch perhaps i have killed the actual noise maker being it a hollow box.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sorry for leaving you hangin,

Just take the switch out at the door to bypass it. I can't remember if it is a N.O. or N.C. switch but if you leave them disconnected and you still get it just cut the switch out and wire nut the two together.

You dig?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
That's not the buzzer you have, that's a control for something else. I'll look in my FSM and see what that is. One thing about the door switch. If you take it out, the dome light doesn't come on. Also, if you have an alarm, it won't go off if someone opens the door.

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
That's not the buzzer you have, that's a control for something else. I'll look in my FSM and see what that is. One thing about the door switch. If you take it out, the dome light doesn't come on. Also, if you have an alarm, it won't go off if someone opens the door.</font>
Let me know what the box is. I was doubtfully too but when i pulled the wire plug out the buzzer died. The box mounts flush on a metal bracket on the other side of the removable plastic panel underneath the steering column. It is pretty close to the cruise control switch/fuse panel to the left of steering wheel.

I may have power gains because I hit 110mph faster than usual this morning.

·
Registered
450 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
If you take it out, the dome light doesn't come on. Also, if you have an alarm, it won't go off if someone opens the door.</font>

1. It is dark all the time.(He lives in Maine )
2. No one would hear the alarm. (He lives in Maine)

Just funning with ya Andy. (He is right) We gonna see you this weekend right?

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's an alarm? Don't rip on Maine or else Lance and I will get mad. We are the only ones representing. Truthfully I can't remember ever having a better summer weather wise in my life besides being in Maine..

Yeah I'll be there Horus. I am planning on Saturday but I might try to make the dinner on Fri night..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andy92RubyClassic:
Truthfully I can't remember ever having a better summer weather wise in my life besides being in Maine..</font>
you've never been to san diego have you?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
If you would like to follow along with me, this is on page EL-77 in your '92 FSM:

Time Control System

Controls:
Light Warning System
Ignition key warning system
Seat belt warning buzzer timer
Seat belt warning lamp timer
Rear Defroster timer

I'll bet you your rear defroster doesn't work anymore. Plug that box back in, take the buzzer out from behind your gauge cluster and get a B14 buzzer. If you don't like the sound, then just take it out. Just don't forget your lights on, or your key in the ignition, because the car won't warn you anymore.

·
jo mom
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eric i was able to follow along. Thanks for that info! No wonder my dash has been so nice and quiet. Kinda like it but i guess i'll put it back in. I will try the defrost though. I noticed my defrost indicator light kicks off after a while so i am curious how it'll respond without the box. The seatbelt light I can definitely do without.

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts