SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the MAF adapter from my CAI off my totalled 200SX SE-R and clamped the 3" cone to the MAF. Never used a short intake before...i miss the sound of the CAI. I can't use the same CAI on the NX?? I have a whole CAI here minus the filter (which is in use..) and it sux i can't use it. Oh well, an intake is an intake. Just wanted to share the good news! peace!

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
are the short intakes just as effective as the CAI?? I was just curiuos?? Cuz i dont want to spend the money on a CAI but hope i can reap the same gains from the short intake...thanks for the input..

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
In all other applications that I know about the CAI is better only for the reason that it does what it says, takes in cold air. It will not take in any more just not the hot engine air. The both make a pretty good difference for the fact that you eliminate all of the BS before the airbox, so you have WAY less restriction on air intake.

For a little bit of a plus get the Ractive Heat Shield filter to help keep a little more hot air out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There has been discussion on the main list about this before and IIRC, yes, the CAI does bring in cold air, but most of the HP difference is because of the length of the CAI tubing. Something about resonance due to the length of the pipe before the MAF. That's why the CAI is really supposed to be better than the short setup.

I noticed a big difference going from K&N w/ open airbox to CAI.

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
well you could always run some flexible dryer duck up to your short intake so it can get some fresh air insted of just hot air, I know its kinda ghetto but it work

------------------

92 NX2000, kyb agx, intrax springs, jwt pop,
3a Racing muffler with bonzi tip,
17 " mille miglia mm 112, Yokohama avid h4
ACT clutch on order

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Is the hot air bad for our engines overall life and performance??

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Nope it dose not hurt the engine.
But the reason for cold air to the engine is that cold air is denser compared to hot air, so lets say you had one cubic foot or cold and one of hot.
If you weighed them, the cold air one would be heavier because its denser, so this means that for the same amount volume of cold air to hot air that is being sucked in to the engine your getting more air when its cold.

This gives you a better air fuel mix for ignition, and when the fuel is ignited you will get more expantion of the air and that helps with the pushing of the piston so all this makes more HP.
I hope this makes some scene.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man, now i want a CAI instead of the short intake i rigged up. lol. is anybody 100% SURE THAT the low-port CAI off a 95+ SE-R will fit an NX or sentra se-r?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silversx:
man, now i want a CAI instead of the short intake i rigged up. lol. is anybody 100% SURE THAT the low-port CAI off a 95+ SE-R will fit an NX or sentra se-r?

</font>
Nope... won't fit (at least not without a buttload of trouble.) The CAI's for both the high-port and low-port SR20's are designed differently. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures to show you.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
Nope... won't fit (at least not without a buttload of trouble.) The CAI's for both the high-port and low-port SR20's are designed differently. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures to show you.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 07-23-2001).]

</font>
The high port A pipe is cut a lot shorter than a low port A pipe. I know, I had one of the first ones in 97 with a fitment problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts