SR20 Forum banner

Installing 91 intake cam?

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  jamse-r 
#1 ·
I tried to install my S4's when the last bolt I was torquing broke off. And I remember I couldn't get the chain back onto the gears. So then I had to take it to my mechanic, who charged me buku bucks cause I messed up the timing.

However, how is it installing the 91 intake cam? I tried looking for how to but to no avail found nothing. I am assuming it shouldn't be to hard since the exhuast cam will not have to be removed. I know I have to take out the cam tensioner, but will the chain be a bitch to get on with just replacing one cam?

#6 ·
Unless you're replacing the cam gears you shouldn't take the chain off the gears. Like totaled said you should use a ziptie. Why wouldn't you just block off the tensioner, it's easier than taking it off.

#14 ·
Nissan4u2nv I have a question for you. On my 91 SE-R I was laying down 151 hp at the wheels, and the only difference in mods was that I had the UR 2 pulley set, Place racing CAI, 2.25 exhaust. It seems that for all your mods your a little down on power? Did you dyno with the 2.5 exhaust?

#16 ·
jamse-r said:
That was easy as hell. It only took me about 3 hours, and boy what a nice gain over 5,000 rpms!!

Did you lose any power down low? My car feels like a complete DOG before 4000 rpms. I have no sack in 2nd - 5th when Im below 3000. I know the power range is from about 4500 - redlineish, but I really LOST power down low. It pulls really hard afterwards, but if this is the way it is supposed to be I can honestly say I dont like it. I miss my SR20's low end grunt :(

edit - I will be going to the dragway this Friday to see if I can beat my old time. (before cams, in sig). If not I must have skipped a tooth or something.

#17 ·
NateSR20 said:
Did you lose any power down low? My car feels like a complete DOG before 4000 rpms. I have no sack in 2nd - 5th when Im below 3000. I know the power range is from about 4500 - redlineish, but I really LOST power down low. It pulls really hard afterwards, but if this is the way it is supposed to be I can honestly say I dont like it. I miss my SR20's low end grunt :(

edit - I will be going to the dragway this Friday to see if I can beat my old time. (before cams, in sig). If not I must have skipped a tooth or something.

After I put mine in, I didnt notice any loss what-so-ever, only gains. i just blocked the tensioner BTW, took me about 5 mins to make the the block with a dremel. I think if you skipped a tooth, you would prob know it, I dont think it would be running well at all.

#19 ·
No way you missed a tooth. If you did your chain wouldn't be on correctly and there would be a mess. There is a loss down below 5,000 rpms. I think it would have been worse if I didn't have my JWT Pop and underive pulley. But when I had my S4's in the SE-R below 3,500 it felt like the car lost power, after that Iy would pull ****in hard to redline. It was like the car just wanted to go beyond redline. The 91 intake cam is nice over 5,000 rpms, nothing compared to the S4's though. If you look at the dyno on the cams sticky you will see that the 91 intake cam does loose some low end power to stock. That is ok with me, cause the top end is sweeeeaaat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.