Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Now that my plans have not panned out for a budget turbo, I think I will
instead spend my money on some nice JWT C2 cams and ECU. The only thing
holding me back is, I have no idea how difficult it will be to install the
springs for the cams. I know that it will be hard to source a spring
compressor, but assuming I can, what kind of difficulty are we looking at?
Can a garage monkey handle something like this? I have never done cams, let
alone springs, but, if I have good directions, I have faith I can do it.
What do you think? Best left to the pros? How much are we talkin if I have
to have a mechanic replace the springs and cams for me?

·
Registered
858 Posts
A mechanic at a shop charges from 5-6 hundred to put cams in but now with springs it should be about maybe 200 more.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
5-6 hundred??? HOLY $hit I'm in the wrong buisness. The cams aren't that difficult at all. A bit tedious but if you take it one step at a time not bad. As for the springs and retainers I don't imagine that they are much more difficult.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Are you sure 5-6 hundred?? That sounds a bit ridiculous. I remember a like a year ago I called the Nissan dealer and they told me they would charge around $250 to install the JWT cams.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES Bushings, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

'98 VR6, stock (the womans car)

·
Registered
858 Posts
yup that's what the quotes out here where. wow hard to believe the stealer would just charge 250 bucks.

G

·
0 Posts
are you talking about springs as in suspension or as in valve springs within teh head? if you're talking about the valvesprings it isn't that hard to do if you know what you are doing and take your time prepping. always...and i mean always, mark where your cam gears are on the chainin perspective to the cam itself. if you do not want to do this you can usually ask a tech if he wants some cash paying sidework...they usually say yes. i got a body kit painted and installed for 175 on my cousin's accord just by knowing the right people to ask to do it on the side. i figure a fistful of 20's amounting around 140-150 could get your cams done.

·
Registered
705 Posts
They come with instructions
But i wouldnt do it if you cant even do just regular cams withotu springs and retainers.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts